Canoe trip dated August 1903

Michaux Hiker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Williamsport Sun-Gazette, August 21, 1903

Stranded Four Days

Young Canadian Robinson Crusoe

A couple of young Canadians had an accident to their canoe and were left upon a small uninhabited island for four days before help came during which time they had nothing to eat but a couple of packages of Grape-Nuts.

In telling the story one of them says; “There was quite a party of us, and we prepared to spend a jolly time hunting in Muskoka. I provisioned the party and among other supplies laid in a stock of Grape-Nuts food of which I am very fond.

“One day we left camp to paddle to the nearest steamer landing 12 miles away. Just as we pushed off, one of our companion's threw into the canoe two packages of Grape-Nuts and a can of condensed milk saying, “ Leave these at Verne’s with our compliments, they were wishing they had some yesterday.” We had gone about half the distance when it began to blow, the lake becoming very rough, so we turned our frail boat towards a small island and paddled with all our might to gain this shelter. Heavy rain began to fall and we drove the boat ashore withy more haste than caution and in doing so struck a sunken log and tore a large hole in the light canoe. We scrambled ashore and hauled the boat up after us and a nice plight we were in.

“We were on a small island of about a quarter of an acre and out of the track of steamers, a hole a foot long in our boat with neither tools nor materials to repair it; no shelter except some big trees and our canoe and no food except the Grape-Nuts and milk.

“For four long dreary days we waited and hoped for help and finally our friends missed us and organized a search party and found us on the bare little island.

“As we had no fishing tackle we could not fish and not having a fire we could not cook. But we had three meals a day on Grape-Nuts and condensed milk when rescued we were none the worse for our experience. Thanks to the Grape-Nuts on which we had lived and kept in good health for four days.

“After this adventure I never drive a canoe to shore in a hurry and I never go on a hunting trip without a supply of the ready cooked ready-to-eat and always acceptable food Grape-Nuts.”

(Muskoka, is a regional municipality in Central Ontario, Canada. Muskoka extends from Georgian Bay in the west, to the northern tip of Lake Couchiching in the south, to the western border of Algonquin Provincial Park in the east. A two-hour drive north of Toronto, Muskoka spans 6,475 km. Muskoka has some 1,600 lakes, making it a popular cottaging destination)

When you get hungry, you will eat dog and be happy to get it.
A friend of mine went on a 3 week canoe trip in 1938 in what is now the Boundary Waters. They started from Moose Lake and his outfitter was Sig Olsen.
They found an old trappers cache on a small island with tobacco, fire starter, trade beads, babiche and a knife in it. They put it back and it is probably still there.

Back