Canoe Serial Number

ghostrider272

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hey all, new to the forum. We just inherited a canoe from a family member. I was told it is an Old Town. Unfortunately, there is no serial number located on the starboard stern area, as directed by Old Town. It is made of Royalex and has/had wood gunwhales that now need replacing. Can't seem to find a serial number anywhere. Looking for some advice?

Welcome, many companies made Royalex canoes and Old Town only made a few with wooden gunwales. The early ones had the serial numbers on a tag and the later ones were stamped into the hull as shown in the examples below. My guess is that you probably have one from another builder if you can't find any sign of a tag or numbers on the starboard stern. Some pictures may help. Good luck with the repairs,

Benson

XTC06325M75I.jpg

xtc49820A090.jpg

Benson,
Thanks! Have neither of those on the hull. Might have to start looking elsewhere. Hopefully I can find some help for manufacturers who made Royalex with wooden gunwhales.

Mad River canoes came with wooden outside rails. If you post a picture of the boat including the decks it should be pretty easy to ID.

Here are some pics. The gunwhales and decks are gone, but hopefully someone here will recognize the design.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 215
After cleanin up some of the dirt and grime, still no serial number, but up on the starboard inside wall, up forward, in marker, is a handwritten "4350". Doesn't strike me as a serial number, but maybe someone here has seen that before.

Hard to tell much from those photos, but it might be an old Mad River Explorer. The original version was 16' Royalex with oiled ash gunwales (which tended to rot out pretty quickly if the boat's owners didn't re-oil them regularly). Over the following years there were other sizes, trim and seat options and even some composite versions offered. Of the Mad Rivers we sold, the Explorers tended to be among the most popular models. Are the gunwales held on with stainless steel flat head phillips screws?

exp.JPG

Last edited:
Tom nailed it. These are nice hulls and worth restoring. They have better entry and lines than many of the Old Towns from that time (think Camper). One of the regulars on this site, Russ Padden buys and restores these. He may have all of the parts you need. Try PM'ng Old Paddler.

Back