Caning supplies

tnyankee

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I'm getting ready to recant the seats in my OT Yankee. Can someone provide me with direction as to what diameter cane is typical? Any other tips would be appreciated as well!

Thanks,

Adam

Somewhere I saw a chart that showed the appropriate cane. It has to do with hole diameter and distance between holes. I tell my caneing gal to use the largest cane she can for the size of the holes. Canoe seats take more abuse than a typical dining room chair.
I think the chart may have been on the H. H. Perkins (cane supplier) website...

Here's the place Greg Nolan mentioned above:

Caning Kit: Common 3.5mm (this is the cane diameter for an OT Yankee)
https://hhperkins.com/collections/strand-cane/products/caning-kits?variant=42955261214963- $43.61
Common 3.5mm Kit: Common cane is used when center-to-center hole spacing is 7/8″ and the hole diameter is 5/16".
Includes 500ft of Natural Strand Cane, 12ft of Binder Cane, 12 Caning Pegs, 1 Woo Handle Steel Awl, Reed Corner Plugs, an instruction book

Somewhere I saw a chart that showed the appropriate cane. It has to do with hole diameter and distance between holes. I tell my caneing gal to use the largest cane she can for the size of the holes. Canoe seats take more abuse than a typical dining room chair.
I think the chart may have been on the H. H. Perkins (cane supplier) website...
Here's the chart:
To determine the size of the strand cane you need, measure the distance from the center of one hole to the center of the hole next to it. Any chair with holes drilled into the wooden frame of the seat should be woven with Strand Cane. The hole diameter is another measurement that helps determine the width of the Strand Cane you need for your project.

SuperFine 2.0mm Kit: SuperFine cane is used when the center-to-center hole spacing is 3/8" and the hole diameter is 1/8".

Fine-Fine 2.25mm Kit: Fine-Fine cane is used when the center-to-center hole spacing is 1/2" and the hole diameter is 3/16".

Fine 2.5mm Kit: Fine cane is used when the center-to-center hole spacing is 5/8″ and the hole diameter is 3/16".

Narrow Medium 2.75mm Kit: Narrow Medium cane is used when the center-to-center hole spacing is 3/4″ and the hole diameter is 3/16".

Medium 3.0mm Kit: Medium cane is used when the center-to-center hole spacing is 3/4" and the hole diameter is 1/4".

Common 3.5mm Kit: Common cane is used when center-to-center hole spacing is 7/8″ and the hole diameter is 5/16".

Back