Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Building a Birchbark Canoe over a few years time . . .

Discussion in 'Birchbarks, Dugouts and Primitive Craft' started by gmreeves, Aug 7, 2008.

1. François Rothan

François Rothan Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Nice canoes on the morairphotos web site. I espescially like the one piece hull 15 footer. The lashing and decorative sewing are well mastered. The general shape of the canoe is also very graceful!

2. OP
    OP
    gmreeves

gmreeves Curious about Wooden Canoes

Well, I made it through another winter down here in Alabama. I think we got one morning of snow. :D Anyway, I haven't forgotten about the birch bark canoe and am already planning my trip up to Canada for July. I hope to spend a day walking the woods and searching out materials. Should be fun. I only wish I could spend longer up there. It is so peaceful.

3. OP
    OP
    gmreeves

gmreeves Curious about Wooden Canoes

I'm still around. I just returned home from my yearly Canada trip. I didn't really prepare before going up this year but while walking the woods looking for chantrelles, I began experimenting with harvesting spruce root. I gathered several strands about eight feet long each, removed the sheath, and split them. I used a couple of strands and practiced working with them. I have the others coiled up and stored at the cabin. I plan to heat up one of the strands next year and see how workeable it becomes. The sample bark I gathered a couple of years ago is just as pliable today as it was when I pulled it from the tree. It sits on my desk at work along side one of the spruce roots I brought home. I think next summer I will look into splitting and working with cedar.

4. Dave Chito

Dave Chito New Member

Does anybody have a downloaded copy of the mocotaugan book? The authors used to post it as a free download at the site that Rob Stevens posted above, but the site doesn't work any more. I'd love to get my hands on a copy.