Build sheet, OT canoe

DavidK

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Can you please look for a build sheet for canoe serial number 703499 18?
Thanks,
-David

Attachments

• 00101_bsSU0O7j6FF_1200x900 (1).jpg
    00101_bsSU0O7j6FF_1200x900 (1).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 234
My guess is that you have the Old Town canoe with serial number 103449. This is an 18 foot long, CS (Common Sense or middle) grade, HW (heavy water) model with western red cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, oak decks, oak thwarts, oak seats, a keel, and sponsons. It was built between November, 1929 and June, 1930. The original exterior paint color was Yale blue. It shipped on June, 21st, 1930 to Augusta, Maine. A scan of this build record (and a picture of the serial numbers from the other end) can be found by following the links at the attached thumbnail images below.

103449.jpg 103449.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Thanks for your reply Benson. The photo you gave shows some differences in the stamping of the numbers. Here's a photo of the canoe I'm asking about. Thanks for your assistance.
-David

Attachments

• 01212_1PoJC02Ykcm_1200x900.jpg
    01212_1PoJC02Ykcm_1200x900.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 235
The serial numbers were hand stamped, one digit at a time, after the canoe came off the form so there are always differences and irregularities. The canoe in your photograph looks like it could be an 18 foot long HW model with the sponsons removed and the addition of a mast seat with step. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

A few more questions....Were they stamped on both ends? I'm wondering why the serial number in your photo looks different that the one in my photo? How did you get a photo of the serial number? Did you assume it was 103449 because there was no 703449?
Thanks,
-David

Yes, the serial numbers are stamped in both ends. I periodically troll through eBay, craigslist, classified advertisements, auction listings, and other sources of information about canoes for sale and save the pictures of canoes which interest me (including the serial numbers like this one). That picture was added to my archive in May of last year. The Old Town serial number 703449 was probably issued in the late 1990s or early 2000s and is not likely to have gone on a wooden canoe. (These records are not kept on paper now and are not available for research.) Your pictures appear to show a canoe that is much more than twenty years old. Let me know if you want more details. Thanks,

Benson

Back