Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Boat ID - modern home build? Something else?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Tariacuri, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Tariacuri

Tariacuri Chris Fisher, Colorado

Hey all - just picked up this canoe and was hoping someone could ID the manufacturer. 14'4" long, 36 1/2 width, 12" deep. Modern fasteners (square drive) holding the outwales on. Really crummy canvas job - or is it dacron? Really lightweight canvas? Tack heads showing everywhere. Otherwise great shape, ready to paddle with some TLC - perhaps some paint. Noticed a crack in the outwale when I got it home have to fix that. I think these are the Mad River style gunnels with the kerfs to fit on a composite canoe - simple roundovers? No cracked ribs. Whole canoe is incredibly light - have not weighed but on par with my Kevlar Bell of the same rough size.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. OP
    OP
    Tariacuri

I'll have to snag a kneeling seat

Attached Files:

3. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

My guess is that it was home made and certainly looks like Dacron. A commercially built boat after 1972 in the U. S. would have a hull identification number on the starboard stern. It looks like a fun boat. Please reply here if you ever determine who built it. Thanks,

Benson

4. OP
    OP
    Tariacuri

Thanks Benson, it is Dacron for sure, fibers melt under a flame. I wonder if anyone will recognize it - there honestly are not that many hobby-type folks building new boats covered in Dacron. Chris