BN Morris

mapleman

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Not sure if questions like this are acceptable, but I'm not sure where to look. A friend is moving and trying to sell her wooden canoe, but we are not sure what a fair asking price is. On another thread we were guessing it's a B. N. Morris from 1902. It seems to be in good condition except for the paint on the bottom is peeling in a couple of spots. No broken/missing ribs/boards, but the decal is long gone. Any input would be helpful as I can't find many listed anywhere. thanks

Attachments

• 20200711_150850.jpg
    20200711_150850.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 430
  • 20200711_150921.jpg
    20200711_150921.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 396
Hi,
It would be helpful if you provided some additional information. If there is a brass tag with a serial number it would help to estimate the date a bit more closely. Based upon the deck style and closed rails it is likely built 1911/12ish. It appears to be an 18 foot canoe. Longer boats tend to be less interesting to buyers so that does not benefit it's value.
It looks like a good candidate for a complete restoration including a new canvas.
You can read a bit about valuation here:http://forums.wcha.org/index.php?threads/how-much-is-my-old-wooden-canoe-worth.57/
And a bit about Morris here:
http://www.wcha.org/content/bn-morris
You could place an add in this sites classifieds for a modest fee once you figure out what you want to ask for the boat. Prospective buyers will help you understand it's real value.

Serial number is 1063 on a brass plate. I think it's 18' but I'd have to check again

You should also re-check that number...with the deck style that your canoe is built with the number is logically more likely to be 11,063 or something in that number range. The boats built in the 1,000 number sequence were of a noticeably different style. The tag would also have likely been located on the inside rail.
There is one other possibility if the SN is indeed 1063. The boat could be a Veazie, a Morris built boat that was sold directly by the Morris factory and outside of their dealer network. Veazie SN's are much lower than the Morris numbers. The dating table that is posted on this site does not provide Veazie build dates. For example, my Veazie #320 is likely to have been built in 1907/08. The dating table would suggest a 1900ish build date if it was a Morris.
The Veazie canoes are believed to have been built with a "keyhole" or long deck. I am not aware of one with the concave decks that are evident on this canoe but that does not mean that they weren't made. A Veazie customer could have a Veazie canoe built that was identical to a Morris. It is entirely possible that a Veazie tag could have been stuck on a completed Morris to fill an order.

Last edited:
Not the clearest picture but I'm sure there is only 4 digits

Attachments

• 20200711_150801.jpg
    20200711_150801.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 325
The picture is clear enough. There are only 4 digits. Based upon what we can see it appears that you may have a Veazie rather than a Morris (although they are basically one and the same).
At one time it was suggested that the Veazie canoes were only built with "keyhole" decks. My long deck Veazie would have been mistaken for a Morris were it not for the original combing decal.
It looks like they were also available with the later deck style.
As noted previously, closed rails, concave decks suggest post 1911 build. Open rails started to appear in the mid-teens so you might guess a build between 1911 and 1915ish.
There are no records for Morris or Veazie canoes so dating is done using the bits of information available and healthy measure of Kentucky windage.

I looked at a Morris a few weeks back. Same deck as above with a 4 digit number as well but closed gunwale. Threw me off a bit.

I looked at a Morris a few weeks back. Same deck as above with a 4 digit number as well but closed gunwale. Threw me off a bit.
It's amazing we know as much as we do and so little. As my son once proudly proclaimed, I know nothing and always will.
Me-thinks Veazie. I am hopeful that my boat is the Rosetta stone for the Veazie boats. It was owned by the same family from the time it was delivered to their cottage by steamboat in 19?? The original owner kept copious records in his journals. Those journals are being read one at a time and will hopefully yield the age of the boat. You'd think that someone who documented everything would have captured the date when his canoe arrived from Canandaigua. Once we have one pinned down date we can make up all kinds of stuff;):D

Back