Black Pearl ( A Composite Build

Jim Dodd

LOVES Wooden Canoes
This Summer I used my solo stripper build ( Pearl ) as a male mold for a Carbon/Kevlar composite build. I named this canoe Black Pearl.
Here's a few pics.
Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic, and the stems with Electricians tape, as a barrier between the two hulls.
IMG_2037_zps5ermfhq4.jpg

Marking where to cut the Kevlar.
IMG_2046_zpsaggoxzsf.jpg

IMG_2105_zpsk22quohq.jpg

IMG_2108_zps8lovjjee.jpg

At this point, I have 3 layers of cloth make up the hull. One 5 oz Kevlar, one 6 oz Twill Carbon fiber, and one 6 oz S-glass,
IMG_2214_zps9y94uy5g.jpg

I just finished epoxying in a 1/8" WRC wood insert to add a little more stiffness.
IMG_2670_zps2cv1oa1d.jpg

Last pic. I closed the ends with epoxy saturated Polyester sweat shirt fleece. This will not only hold the stems together, but will serve as a Skid plate if I wear through the Kevlar/ Carbon/S-glass layers.
I will add one more layer of cloth over the wood insert. Then flotation chambers and trim. As she sits now Black Pearl weighs 20 lbs 7 oz.
IMG_2664_zpsto2mcqvr.jpg

Jim

[QUOTE="Jim Dodd, post: 80279, Covering the stripper with Heat Shrink plastic.]

Jim, Could you give us the details about this heat shrink plastic barrier. I could use some if I knew what it was. Tom McCloud

The heat shrink plastic I used is the kind you cover your windows with.

It shrinks up a little, not as much as I'd like, but it's worked for me.

The hulls lift right off ! I had one that had a little pin hole, and it still pulled off without any effort.

The only problem, I've had, is getting the plastic to suck up tight in the tumblehome area. I solve this by wetting out one side at a time, and tilting the canoe to one side. I added some encouragement with clamps and a strip of plastic, even a few squeegees. It works !

IMG_2086_zpsrgr4i9q8.jpg

IMG_1981_zpseslilgyi.jpg

Jim

A little update on Black Pearl.

Winter has kept me out of my Canoe shop. Having two trucks and a new to me, big tablesaw. I won't be able to do much, until Spring !
I did however get the Flotation chambers fabricated.

Put the hull on the scale. It weighed 23.5 # Without chambers. I have trim and varnish yet to do. Come on Spring !
Here are a few pics.

Instead of using Kevlar Felt to make an Outside Skid plate, I'm using Polyester Fleece, on the Inside. This also serves as structure and seal, between the two sides on the ends. With the Fleece on the inside, it will take a LONG time to wear through this hull, and leak !

IMG_2692_zpsym0rz3hm.jpg

Here is the chamber. It is Pink (Owens Corning) foam, used just as a form, I bent it and glassed it to hold the shape I wanted. I will trim to fit, and cover it with Kevlar.

IMG_2711_zpsphvmwl9q.jpg

This is what it should look like when done.

IMG_1449_zpshpkbnasr.jpg

Jim

OH ! Looks like I skipped the WRC insert, here's a few pics.

I have the insert stripped up, ready to be cut to shape. I set up the forms to make the insert. I could have used foam, instead, but I like the looks and strength I get from 1/8" WRC.

IMG_2622_zpsgmskxg1q.jpg

Here I use a Batten, to mark the shape of the insert.

IMG_2640_zpswep3g8nk.jpg

I cut out the insert with a Jap pull saw ! I love those Pull saws !

IMG_2648_zpsbdobuttj.jpg

Insert laying in the hull.

IMG_2656_zpssd7gnpi0.jpg

No fancy Vacumm bagging ! I just mixed up some resin, with some filler, and spread on the bottom of the hull, before placing the insert in. I then put plastic, over everything, and poured in about 200# of sand. The weight of the sand was enough to make a good bond between the hull and insert. It helped to support the hull during this !!!! And the insert was preshaped on the original forms.

IMG_2670_zps2cv1oa1d.jpg

I then laid another layer of 6 oz E-glass.

IMG_2677_zpsskgyuan2.jpg

IMG_2682_zpsunvuefln.jpg

Jim

I'm retired, but have 4 drive ways to clean ! Keeps me out of the bars anyway !

Bought a lightly used Delta, 2hp with a Biesemeyer 52" fence. plus an outfeed table. Takes up 3x the space my old Craftsman, and requires 220 service, which I have, just need time to set it up.

Jim

Last edited:
I'm retired and I don't even clean 1 (ours), I discovered a guy who plows for cheep.

So is the saw a Uni or something else? I have a 3 hp wired at 220 on my contractor, but have 2 Uni's waiting for attention.

I'm retired and I don't even clean 1 (ours), I discovered a guy who plows for cheep.

So is the saw a Uni or something else? I have a 3 hp wired at 220 on my contractor, but have 2 Uni's waiting for attention.
I actually enjoy getting out after a Snow storm . I use a Wonder Scoop, until it gets over 3 or 4 inches, and then the Snow blowers are brought out !

My Delta is not the Contractor type, it is a base cabinet. Model 36-755 after doing some research, it may be a 2 hp.
For $325 I couldn't pass it up!

It would be nice to find a power feed for it !

Jim

Back