"Bark of the Beaver"

beaver

Birchbark CanoeingBuilder
Megwetch (thanks) to Amik (beaver) for allowing me to harvest one of his favorite birch trees in the forest. He is very excited about launching the new canoe and wants to paddle & portage it all the way to Trent University in Peterbourgh Ontario:cool:

Will he make it in time;) :)

FG

Attachments

• July 1 08 012.jpg
    July 1 08 012.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 643
  • July 1 08 020.jpg
    July 1 08 020.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 630
  • July 1 08 016.jpg
    July 1 08 016.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 687
  • BP 004.jpg
    BP 004.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 708
Love the picture of the beaver portaging the canoe! If the beaver makes it to Assembly I'll buy him a (birch) beer!

Outstanding.

Ferdy, I have to ask. Was a woodchuck tail used to locate that bark? And if so, where did it come from?

The canoe is simply stunning. I hope there wil be more photos>
Regards, Dave.

I hope so!
Ferdy, and others, the CCM has compiled a special exhibit of models to coincide with Assembly. There will be a special opening Thursday morning just before the warehouse/collection tour.

Rob

Dave Wermuth said:
Ferdy, I have to ask. Was a woodchuck tail used to locate that bark? And if so, where did it come from?

Regards, Dave.

Unfortunately Dave the tail was not present on the Quetico canoe trip when the bark was harvested about a month ago.

MikeCav said:
Love the picture of the beaver portaging the canoe! If the beaver makes it to Assembly I'll buy him a (birch) beer!

I can tell by your post that you are a connoisseur of fine beaver;) and birch beer will taste so goode after that long journey North to the "Land of the Big Beavers":cool:

Dave Wermuth said:

Regards, Dave.

As the journey North continues to P'bo, beaver arrives at the Grand Portage. Beav thrives on helping others on the long 8+ mile trail through the wilderness;)

Attachments

• GP 08 011.jpg
    GP 08 011.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 631
Eager helpful beaver

The ones I've encountered were not friendly to me. I must not know beaver etiquette. I am guessing there must be some sort of accepted ritual in order to be accepted in the beav's rec room. They usually swim near and eye me and then splash me with water. Ther was one night on an unfamiliar stream in the blackest of nights when a helpful beaver gave me a stave to help keep me from falling down. I still have the walking stick.
Journey on furry one.

Bark Canoe Models at the Assembly

The exhibit at CCM; The Canoe in Miniature was by far the best collection that beaver has ever seen:cool: Many thanks to Roger Young and Jeremy Ward for their wonderful display.

Several other bark models were on display over the course of the assembly including builders Ted Behne, Coos Canoe, Rick Nash, and yours truly (beav).

May the tradition continue eh.

Attachments

• TED RELAXING UNDER   CANOE.jpg
    TED RELAXING UNDER CANOE.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 595
  • Peterborough 08 174.jpg
    Peterborough 08 174.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 596
  • Peterborough 08 160.jpg
    Peterborough 08 160.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Peterborough 08 141.jpg
    Peterborough 08 141.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 588
  • Peterborough 08 138.jpg
    Peterborough 08 138.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 574
  • Peterborough 08 116 t.jpg
    Peterborough 08 116 t.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 593
assorted wondercraft

Educational and Organic!
Pleasure meeting up with you and your Norwoods Buddies at that strange Rectalinear bug-spattered meeting place in Peterborough.
Definitly a pleasure.
Becky paddling your boat I thought you were going to burst a few shirt buttons.
John

Caption Contest

What was the outcome of the contest for the best caption for the picture of the portaging beaver (pictured in a post above)?

Kathryn Klos said:
What was the outcome of the contest for the best caption for the picture of the portaging beaver (pictured in a post above)?

Beavers are always the last ones to find out eh;) Must check in with a higher power.

FG

Attachments

• CanoeBeaver 014.jpg
    CanoeBeaver 014.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 541
Not that I'm a "higher power", but the winner was Henrietta Peleninen with;
(From memory)
"It's one damn thing after another".
I know, pretty cliche, but there were only 4 entries.
When I find them in my files, I'll share them all.
The prize was a hardcover copy of John Jennings book "The Canoe; A Living Tradition".

Rob

Rob Stevens said:
Not that I'm a "higher power", but the winner was Henrietta Peleninen with;
(From memory)
"It's one damn thing after another".
I know, pretty cliche, but there were only 4 entries.
When I find them in my files, I'll share them all.
The prize was a hardcover copy of John Jennings book "The Canoe; A Living Tradition".

Rob

Hey I like that one eh. Thanks for having the contest Rob.

FG:cool:

Back