B.N. Morris Decks and Deck Framing

Paul Scheuer

LOVES Wooden Canoes
On page 99 of Katheryn's book, The Morris Canoe, there is mention and a picture of short decks having been discovered under thr canoe's long decks, indicating the morphing of type 1 to a type 3. When I disassembled my Morris project years ago, I saw the short decks, which from my other boat building exposure would call breast hooks. Since they had never been painted, I assumed that they were part of the basic canoe construction, necessary to connect the rails and stem, and that the long-deck framing and decks were added in the final decorative finishing, once the boat was sold. I did notice that the deck construction was less precise than the rest of the canoe. The fillets between the cross members and rails had been poorly fitted and were "toast". I have since replaces the fillets as shown in the pictures.

My question would be, has there ever been a B.N. Morris canoe discovered that did not have a breast hook/ deck installed ?

Attachments

• Morris Stern Deck Frame 1_02.jpg
    Morris Stern Deck Frame 1_02.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 328
  • Morris Stern Deck Frame 2_02.jpg
    Morris Stern Deck Frame 2_02.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 341
  • Morris Bow Deck Frame 1_02.jpg
    Morris Bow Deck Frame 1_02.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 316
  • Morris Bow Deck Frame 2_02.jpg
    Morris Bow Deck Frame 2_02.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 335
"My question would be, has there ever been a B.N. Morris canoe discovered that did not have a breast hook/ deck installed?"

Morris canoes that have a short deck/brest hook beneath a longer deck are less common than canoes that were built with longer decks from the start. I don't recall seeing pictures of the heart-shaped deck beneath a longer deck.

Hi.
What I have looks very much like the lower photo on page 99, arched with curved inboard edge, and a radius on the bottom. I was thinking it might give some clue as to the provenance of my Morris. I guess that the center, fore and aft, frame piece is wide enough to anchor the peak parts as shown in the upper photo.

Back