Au Sable River overnights

Norm Hein

Canoe Codger
This is my first opportunity to post other than asking to figure out what type of canoe I had. I am wanting to plan a 4-5 day trip down the
Au Sable river in Michigan. As a young man I did the "party route" many times in the MIO area. What I am looking to do now is more of a "Wilderness" route that I can camp along the way. So my question to you Michiganders is; do any of you know of a route that I could take with State land or campsites along the way? I would like to small game hunt and fish(Browns preferably) along the way so it doesn't need to be a real long route.
The last adventure we took was to the BWCA. It was quite amazing.
Any information would be most appreciated.

Norm

Attachments

• mn2.JPG
    mn2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 545
Norm, There are some good spots, I just don't have the specific info you need. But, try the Mich DNR website and also check out some books on the subject. The south branch through the Mason Tract is good and there is a campsite on it. (Now I've just given up one of my favorite fly fishing spots.) It's mostly flies only, no kill. One good book is "Canoeing Michigan Rivers" by Jerry Dennis and Craig Date. Also, you might try callling Gate's Lodge http://www.gateslodge.com/ on the Main St for advice. They're helpful with fishing info too.

Thanks Dave,
I will diffidently give this information a try. I am looking forward to getting back up there. Tennessee (where I am now) has some good rivers and good fishing but almost all the land is private and it is very difficult to get permission to camp. Besides there is nothing like the northern rivers. I use to live up between you and Columbiaville about 25 years ago. Thanks Again,
Norm

One of the first rivers I ever paddled as a kid was the Au Sable R in MI. It was about 1962 and really beautiful. I paddled with my brother and we were not too skilled. But I have been hooked on rivers ever since.

ppine,
I have been tagging along with the Michigan WCHA group on their fall outing on the Au Sable for the last couple of years . Fantastic river and even better people.

Back