attaching keel to wood canvas caoe

Ron Bull

Curious about Wooden Canoes
First time canoe restorer. Almost ready to reattach the keel and I have some questions. When I got the canoe the keel was unattached, so I'm not sure how it was attached. Where do I start, I assume after the canvas has been applied. I have noticed on the inside of the canoe at about everfy three or four ribs there is somekind of a fitting (photo) that, I believe, has something to do with the keel attachment. Not sure what or how it is. Any and all help would be appreciated.
keel 009.jpg

Attachments

• keel 011.jpg
    keel 011.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 495
yep, those are the screw holes for the keel. I don't ususally reattach the keel, but when I do. ...I don't apply the keel til after the canvassed canoe is filled and one coat of primer. I then drill the holes out so I can see them on the outside. That helps me get the keel lined up and get the holes in the keel matched to the holes in the canoe. There are funnel shaped washers, sometimes cup washers are used and the screws are probably 8 x 1" brass or bronze. I Use a bedding compound for the keel to canoe and on the screws too. Sometimes a keel is kept bright and added last. I use masking tape to hold the keel in place once I get it where i want it. Some folks use straps. If the keel is from the canoe originally, then just match up the holes and you're good.

Back