Apalachicola Boat Show

pinholsterr

April 23rd and 24th is the 12th Annual Apalachicola Anitque and Classic Boat Show on Florida's Forgotten Coast. We are really looking to increase the number of wooden canoes and kayaks in the show.

It is a great place to visit in April. We are surrounded by national forests, state parks, and wildlife refuges with many rivers, bays, beaches, and coves to paddle. Plus Apalachicola is an historic town with a rich maritime history.

If you are interested in presenting in the boat show just go to info@apalachicolabay.org or call the Chamber of Commerce at (850) 653-9419.

Roger Pinholster

At the risk of having more people visit this quaint town and mess up its appeal, I will recommend it as a great vacation spot. My family and I spent our spring break here last year opting for a quieter place than many of the more commercial beaches in this area of Florida. There were days when we could look both ways on the beach as far as the eye could see and there was literally no one else on the beach. (St. George Island- across the Apalachicola Bay) Dolphins were splashing just off shore and there were lots of shells. The river and Bay are very picturesque as well. I would love to attend this event...I'm not sure it will work with our Spring break this year though.

You are right about the chance to really enjoy nature without thousands of cars and people getting in the view. Maybe you can come down next April!

Roger

It's sad. They call this "the forgotten coast", but in the last 20 years it has been all but forgotten. The St. Joe Paper Co. and others have been developing at an incredibly rapid pace. There are now many fake communities with pretty-sounding names thrown up in recent years. Places like St. George's Island and Cape San Blas are choked with houses and condos now. Out on the thin little strand of St. Joseph peninsula west of the tip of the cape, houses are packed 3-5 deep, and almost all are empty year-round. Yes it's quiet, I suppose, but only because people with money to burn bought up the land and planted cheap structures on it. But what a special place it once was!

This all said, Apalachicola is a nice little town (priced out of most people's reach because of money grubbers from Tallahassee to Atlanta to Birmingham), the people and seafood are wonderful (best oysters anywhere!), and the boat show is a lot of fun. We've participated every year for the past 10 years or so.

Back