And so it begins...

nmerrill

Restoreist
Had this baby sittin' in the back yard for over a year now...
1942 OT CS grade 18 ft "paddling" square-end sponson model, with sailing rig.
Just thought I'd share.
Next installment - covered, and then uncovered...

Sure to be asking plenty of newbie questions as time goes on!

Nat

Attachments

• P3131815.JPG
    P3131815.JPG
    881.2 KB · Views: 603
Sing along with me... "Da, da, da - another one bites the dust!"

Welcome to an addicting but great hobby and community!

Thanks Mike, true I'm sure, and unfortunately only one addiction of many for me...
Should be a great project. A little broken wood, re-canvas, strip, re-varnish, new sail... and lots of other stuff I don't know about I'm sure! Oh yea, a new trailer...

the good, the bad, and the ugly

And uncovered...
A few shots of the beauty (project) in all its glory (more like gory)...
Looking from the inside, looks like a few cracked ribs
A little rot here and there.
A large hole in one sponson, with broken rib behind

Thought I had read here that the sponsons are typically covered separately, then attached. This one was covered over the sponsons in one shot. Although, the sponsons were canvased on the "back" facing the hull before they were attached.
I did find that this is not the original canvas either, as there is evidence of patching with something like bondo.

Started to try and remove one of the long wooden strips below the sponson (what is this called?), which is held on with brass bolts (6-32?) through to the inside, and a nut on the inside, but ended up snapping the head off of 3 (out of 7) before I decided to take a step back!
:eek:

Attachments

• unveiling.JPG
    unveiling.JPG
    682.1 KB · Views: 441
  • wide view right side.JPG
    wide view right side.JPG
    925.6 KB · Views: 530
  • leftside.JPG
    leftside.JPG
    897.1 KB · Views: 535
  • the ugly.JPG
    the ugly.JPG
    818.3 KB · Views: 520
  • patchwork.JPG
    patchwork.JPG
    870.2 KB · Views: 473
  • inner sponson canvas etc.JPG
    inner sponson canvas etc.JPG
    830.1 KB · Views: 521
Keel

Pros - correct me if I am wrong, but I've never seen a keel like that...or is it a centerboard??:eek:

I think someone has re-canvassed or at least re-installed the keel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

No keel like any I've seen. But then I've never seen an Old Towne...

The sponsons that I've seen on Peterboroughs were done much like this. Canvas the canoe as per usual, then apply a piece of canvas along the sheer, let it drop down, then attach the sponsons, then wrap the canvas up over the sponsons. Your choice as to whether to fill the canvas before you sponson her up.

I've never seen that filler strip. I supsect that it was added by whomever recanvassed it previously, probably to keep water out from behind the sponson. I could be wrong.

Recently there was an Old Town 16 footer on ebay that was fully restored that had sponsons. It had the same type of strip under the sponson. Can you tell if that strip is Mahogany -it looks like it may be in the photos. Do you have tha build record for this boat? If you do - does it mention the use of Mahogany? The one on ebay was an AA.
Have fun, Denis

Interesting, I'll post a better shot of the keel this evening. It is a rather substantial unit. This boat came with a sail rig, which the build record does not mention. I wonder if the keel was added later to increase sailing performance? This boat lived on Lake George, Ny., and draft was likley never an issue.

Douglas, If I understand your description of the sponson canvasing on Peterboroughs, this is not like that. Looks to me like the sponsons were on, and the canvas draped over the entire hull, including sponsons, and then that sub-sponson strip was scewed into place pulling the canvas tight up below the sponson. The canvas appears to be continuous under the wooden strip, and on around the sponson. Not sure if it was filled before or after the wood strip was placed, yet.
That said, I won't really know until I get that wood strip off.
I have no idea what the sub-sponson strip is made of at this point. The build record indicates CS grade - spruce and ash.
Interestingly, the old town catalog page I have that shows a sqaure stern sponson model does not have the wood strips below the sponson. Never noticed that!

My guess is that the canoe was recanvassed by someone who didn't do it the same way as was done at the factory. The keel was probably added when the sail rig was added.

When you recanvas, if you choose to keep the sponsons, I'd offer that the method that I described above is a pretty effective method. I've only had to do sponsons on on Peterbough Autoboat, it went well, but the tight curves on that little boat were a chore to get the canvas to lay smooth. You shouldn't have the same problem.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing about the re-canvas job being a different method than factory. Actually, seems like decent method to me, but what do I know!
Here are a few more shots of the keel and bow.

I noticed that the Old Town catalog page with this model indicated that it was covered with #6 canvas... heavy!
Since this boat is not a paddler (even though that is its model name!) at 130+ lbs:eek:, seems like a lighter weight canvas wouldn't change that much. Any reason why I might want to go with lighter canvas? As far as I'm concerned, this is a trailer/sail, and maybe row, craft only.

Attachments

• bow left.JPG
    bow left.JPG
    879.8 KB · Views: 458
  • stern.JPG
    stern.JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 455
  • keel tail.JPG
    keel tail.JPG
    880.1 KB · Views: 423
progress...

Ok, so I made some progress, and most of the canvas is off the hull (see "autopsy" thread for details on that).
Things look pretty good, for the most part. I did discover some bad things at the bow stem...
All the tacks driven in for the canvas managed to spit the stem along its length. I can see through it! Is this common?
Not sure what I'm going to do about it yet and suggestions are welcome! Basically, I have three options as I see it.
1) Leave it and hope there is enough wood to hold the canvas on again.
2) fill the crack with something- putty, epoxy, etc. and leave it. Obviously, the filler needs to be soft enough to tack into, but bond well enough to the wood to make a difference.
3)replace the stem. Removing the planking from the stem seems like a recipe for breaking things (planks), but I have not looked at how well they are attached closely.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• stem split.JPG
    stem split.JPG
    895.8 KB · Views: 447
  • bow canvas tacks 2.JPG
    bow canvas tacks 2.JPG
    862 KB · Views: 470
  • more split stem.JPG
    more split stem.JPG
    891 KB · Views: 465
Ok, so no thoughts on the split stem.
Next question...
Can anyone confirm that these floor boards are not factory issue (see picture) - they don't look like anything I have seen in pictures.
Off to pull them off and start cleaning the interior...
I think I will re-install them even if they are not original, though they must add a bit of weight!

Nat

Attachments

• interior long view.JPG
    interior long view.JPG
    790.7 KB · Views: 454
Those don't look like any Old Town floor rack that I have ever seen before. A floor rack with half ribs is a bit redundant. My vote would be to replace the stem.

Benson

When I helped my friend strip his 49 OT square stern he found that "split" like you described..He scarfed in a section that needed to be replaced...but as Mr Benson suggests, if its that bad, nothing you do is gonna keep those tacks in and it should be replaced. there is that double tacking and then either an outer stem or stem band to consider......better now than after you have had and OOPS!;) Looks like somone wanted to keep their "dunage" dry at all costs with those "boards":)

Tacks

Hard to say from the photos, but those tacks are ENORMOUS. That is why the stem split. Tiny 3/8's in. tacks are typical.

2 Cents:

I typically fill the normal tack holes with a little epoxy thickened with wood flour, but it looks to me like you should consider replacing the stem. The planks are fastened to the stem with steel nails. You might slip a hacksaw blade between the stem and the planking and cut the nails freeing the old stem. Less chance of damaging the planking.

Thanks for the replies y'all.
I figured most would recommend replacing a section of the stem...but I asked anyway...

Fitz,
Thanks for the hack saw tip. Already had to use that one to get the keel off since the last 4 bolts were steel (rest were long brass screws and bolts) and were too rusted to unscrew.

I had doubts that the floor rack was original due to a few details of the construction and installation. Thanks for confirming that.

Is it true that boats with half ribs don't get floor racks, in general?
I'll have to consider leaving them out since they must weigh 20 lbs alone! Not to mention the pound of brass holding them down!

Ok, now to commence stripping (the boat I mean)!

I have seen small strip floor racks held in place with a piece of the brass stem as the hold down clip....I suppose and add on to an original restoration to help keep you gear somewhat dry would be ok...they are light and cane be removed easily for wash down and clean outs..Soooo....start stripping!...the canoe that is...;)

OHH NOOOOoooooo

Ok, so after removing a hundred screws, and another hundred nails, I finally managed to remove the center plank of the floor "rack". And that was when I found out why this boat had that particular floor, held on in that particular way...
The horror
:eek: :( :mad:

So, I guess I don't need to question if I'm going to do a "restoration", or a "re-build". No way I've got the time to fix all that "right"

Oh well, who knew?
And I thought I was all set once the little bits of bondo I found came right out!

Attachments

• seam at rear.JPG
    seam at rear.JPG
    845.6 KB · Views: 468
  • The seam from front.JPG
    The seam from front.JPG
    795.2 KB · Views: 421
  • the seam.JPG
    the seam.JPG
    883.4 KB · Views: 451
Back