Affordable shipping of materials

John Maderic

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
With all the posts Ive read a good number include getting the needed wood, materials, etc. from out of the buyers local area. Some of my past non-canoe related experiances of finding the item I was looking for far away, but due to size or weight, reasonable and sometimes great deals on the item were just too expensive with shipping. I was unaware that Greyhound bus lines does shipping, and my experience was very reasonable, prompt service. A 'friend' wrecked my Toyota Tacoma, and I wont get into the details here , but I was left responsible for a large amount of damage. I live in NY and as my luck goes; where does my search for used body panels lead me; of course: California. Nice new body panels being removed for racing/ dune riding. How aggravating finding truck doors like new for $200, when the savage yards here want 7-900 and the most popular shippers wanted so much it still wasn't worth the savings. By using Greyhound, I had two doors shipped by one seller, a whole front bumper assembly from another, and even the whole side of a truck box from another. That was over 7 ft long and wide. Greyhound was less than half what I was quoted each time by the well known shippers. All three times the items arrived in excellent shape also. Another shipper I had no clue about Previously is Fastenal. Im not sure what lengths they will ship, but weight wise, they were a life saver. A whole truck motor on a pallet from California to their facility in NY, Less than $300. Roadway was @ 900. FedEx and UPS both offered a couple different shipping options, all ranging from $2000 to $3000. Im just hoping to possibly help someone some cost on shipping.

I had to ship an odd shaped box to Georgia so I went to the Post Office near my office where the guy measured it up and quoted me a price which I thought was way too much. So I went to UPS who quoted me even more. So I went back to the Post Office but this time to an office near home where that guy measured it up and quoted me a price half what the first guy said. Go figure - and we wonder why the postal system is going broke.

John, thanks for the tip on Fastenal.

Jim

Back