A Shop for Denis

N I C E !!

It's exciting to have a new shop on the go. I just got mine up and running this spring. Still need to build proper doors and cabinets but having that space sure is awsome.

Love the photos, cannot wait for more.

You should never, ever, ever start moving boats into the shop before it is done. Its a recipe for disaster, because once you do, the shop will never get finished.

Cheers,
The Voice of Experience

welll...

There's only that one in there... it's the one that was under the porch, blocking the lawn mower all winter, so it went into the barn when the mower needed to come out...

Will canoes only be able to be brought into the loft from outside?

I suppose that will be handy in the winter when the upstairs door will be at ground level!

Dan, As Kathryn says we are just running out of room. There are three canoes on the front porch , one under a tarp on the South two under tarps on the North and this one was under the front porch. I needed to mow the yard ---sooo into the unfinished barn she goes!
Brian,
I'm in the process of installing a beam with a pulley system. At present there are racks for six canoes on the second floor and soon six more then a movable one for six more. Also at present there are no stairs to the second floor. So through the 4x6 door they will go! There will be a dolly up there to move them around on. The blood thing is as big as a dance floor.
Denis

[ The blood thing is as big as a dance floor.
Denis[/QUOTE]

So you can host a Yooper wooden canoe event with a barn dance! I know the guys in "Chasing Steel," we'll get them to play.

Brian,
Hopefully soon it will have most of our canoes up there.
When I finally get the shop in there I hope to have some of our chapter meetings here.
Denis

Baby Birds

The phoebes didn't desert their nest after all... the eggs have hatched, and there are little beaks peeking out of the nest in the rafters.

One Up!

Denis hauled one canoe up into the barn loft... the method (using a pulley and hook) worked, but it would be nice to have a power winch!

Attachments

• barn 001.jpg
    barn 001.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 499
  • barn 002.jpg
    barn 002.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 480
Hay loft block and tackle

Growing up in north-central Indiana I had the privilege of baling and putting up hay for the princely wage of $2/ hr.

To get it into the loft of the barn we used a gas powered inclined elevator. In the old days they used these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-HEY-LOF...yZ104043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Wooden-...yZ104043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-PULLEY-...yZ104043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The last one looks particularly nice because it has a locking mechanism so if you hafta scratch your nose or kill a horsefly you don't risk dropping your bale (or canoe).

Hay bales run 50 - 100 pounds depending on moisture and baler, baler settings, type of hay, etc.

Way easier than a single pulley. This looks like a modern day, purpose built version. I've never seen one in real life, but Harken makes great tackle for big sailboats.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HARKEN-HOIST-CA...ryZ23800QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back when I only had a couple canoes, I actually considered buying a Harken hoist so there'd be room in the garage for a car.

I believe Denis is working on a two-pulley system... he'd love to get an old one, like those on eBay, to use until we can get an electric winch or whatever...

We have to move all our canoes out of a friend's garage before her house goes on the market tomorrow. It'll be nice seeing them again.

Progress Report

The barn has part of one side boarded, but not yet battoned. If I squint, it looks done. The whole thing appears much sturdier with the purlins up.

Attachments

• barn end July.jpg
    barn end July.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 417
Brian,
The single pulley worked but was difficult to do. I am going to modify it with double sheave and single sheave pulleys. That will reduce the effort needed.
I'm waiting for the appropriate rope to come in at the local hardware.
I like the look of the board and batten. Doing all the cutting and installing by myself is a slow process though. :(
Denis

N i c e ! ! Good going Guys. It's going to be beautiful.

A loft is one thing I wish I had in my shop. The original design had a 10' ceiling and a 10' high loft but the city wouldn't go for it. It's just as well, I suppose. I'd just put canoes, wood and other good stuff up there and who would want that? Would just be a mess anyways...sigh**

You going to paint it? If so, what color?

Scot,
I have a log house that is weathering naturally, so I will let the cedar siding on the barn do the same. The garage door frame and the man door will be painted cranberry red - the same as the windows and front door on the house. I may remove the masonite panels on the garage door and install something different.
The garage door is a recycle as is the man door. I haven't decided if I will paint the facia or just let it weather. Windows will be added later.
Denis :)

Dennis;
Congrats on the worthwhile construction epic.
My shop is 24 x 48 with a loft and aint half big enough.
A dust free environement for varnish and paint becomes the epic concern.
Cabinets for tools. Lots of (for now) open floor space.Movable tables and dollies under the equipment. Side racks for long lumber.And dedicated paint storage. I heat with a wood furnace in a 12 x 12 addition.Even so I close down January and February as heating takes too much effort. I also use Marvin hanging heaters for space heaters.
O yes, a beer fridge. It keeps paint from drying out.
Pleasure to meet you at Assembly.
John

Denis M. Kallery said:
Brian,

I like the look of the board and batten. Doing all the cutting and installing by myself is a slow process though. :(
Denis

If you lay in some good beer and a supply of pasties and gravy I bet you could get volunteer help to finish it in short order.:D

Sure, I'll drive over for the week-end and swing a hammer for beer. Just let me off in time to get to some water for the evening hatch!

Brookie (my Golden) has been begging to go camping lately anyhow.

Any body else?

Back