A few from this winter

Grandlaker

Builder & Restorer
In between jobs I make a few paddles. Mostly ash

HPIM0751.jpg

They feel real good to me I started making them for my personal use. Thin blade, strong but has some flex

Make a paddle out of sassafras and you will be absolutely amazed at the amount of flex and strength this wood provides. Sassafras has more flex than all the other woods that I have made paddles out of, cherry, B. walnut, maple, basswood. The spicy aroma of the wood as you work it is also enjoyable!!

Send me some!!!!! I try not to pay for wood if i can help it. I have a woodmizer mill and 18,000 acres of land trust land that I can get a permit to cut craft wood of for free. So I get all my cedar, maple and ash there. No sassafras here
I know it makes great paddles.

Paul and Dale
I have to go to substantial effort and expense to cut my sassafras trees on friend's farms in NJ and then load and haul the logs to NH to saw on my woodmizer sawmill since the species rarely gets larger than 4" diameter in NH yet grows into huge trees in the NJ & Penn. area. If I am lucky, I get 6 to 8 good 5/4 paddle blanks out of each good log. Often though the presence of knots only allows you to get one good blank out of each face of the canted log before you cut into knots as you saw closer to the logs center. Both you guys check your PM's.

Ed

Back