8 days solo in my Chestnut Chum-LaVerendrye, Quebec

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check in with the local constabulary before you head out, & let them know where you're going, & when you plan to return. Might save much confusion!

Agreed. My idea was if I found no local to inform, or maybe in addition to, I'd place a note on the dashboard with my name, contact phone numbers, where I was going, and when I expected to return.

Glad to hear the encouragement. I also have to work a bit more to get the canoe up to my shoulders. You have quite the gear. Is that a keyboard I see inside the tent? And are those solar panels for recharging the battery? I see you went prepared for fish as well. Keep up the solo tripping!

Yes, solar panel,I took my laptop. There were actually two 12 volt batteries. In series they will charge this Lenovo by making a direct cord from the posts to the computer. Center post is positive, they charge the computer w/o ac power. I had all the power I needed. When power is low due to overcast you can go fishing or day tripping somewhere.

Very nice! I'll look into that charging method with my 'Thinkpad'. What a great way to mix business and pleasure while tripping with a canoe. I hope any portages were short with two batteries plus the rest of the gear.

Finishing Up

My last campsite showed the most use of any on the trip. It was a really pretty spot with the sound of the far off falls at Big Chute reminding me of the last big portage of the trip.
DSC01502_zpsc4fc1490.jpg
[/URL]

The evening turned out to be calm, the falls where the only sounds. Too tired to fish, I found a rock and watched the sun set.

CopyofDSC01501_zpsd073480c.jpg

Talk about a room with a view, hard to beat this one. Yes, that's my feet in the bag, it's still light but it was a long day and the tent looked to inviting.

DSC01510_zps36276d89.jpg

My last day of the trip I found this site just south of Lac Gaotanaga. I wished I had more time as the site sits out in front of a deep swifts and the evning fishing for pickerel (walleye) must be fantastic. There is no motor boat access here which always means better fishing. The sign is a typical "campsite" sigh in LaVerendrye.

DSC01526_zps3a6204b9.jpg

Looking upstream, my canoe waits as I enjoy a lunch at the site. Shortly after this picture was taken, I was fast asleep on that warm rock with my PFD for a pillow.

DSC01528_zps4599b746.jpg

The current flows past the campsite and down around the rock in the picture below. There is a ledge there with an opening where the water flows thru a deep cut. It looks calm from the place where the picture was taken, but when you get up close you need to be careful. Again, the fishing in the evening must be great here. I can only imagine the great pickerel feasts that have been served at the campsite here after a successful fishing evening.
DSC01525_zps88cced3e.jpg

Later that day I arrived back at the place I started, another fine canoe trip in the great LaVerendrye Reserve.

Back