2015 Assembly program suggestion

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Just a suggestion but it might be fun and educational to have a canoe sailing class at the 2015 assembly. I think there is enough people with sail canoes and if enough people show some interest it might be worthwhile. I certainly am not qualified to teach the class but would be willing to help out and could provide a boat. Thoughts anyone?

Jim C.

I am willing to help teach and can offer one sailing canoe with a centerboard. I did this at an Assembly a few years ago but can't get excited about hauling a whole trailer load of sailing canoes from Maine to New York again. I also teach two sailing canoe sessions at the Maine Canoe Symposium each year which isn't as much of a haul for me. See http://www.mainecanoesymposium.org/ for details.

Benson

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, Jim.
I will work with Benson to get a canoe sailing class on the Assembly program again in 2015.

Rob Stevens
Program Coordinator, Annual Assembly

I'd love a sailing class. Or a time for sailers to share their thoughts, experience and rigging examples and safety / recovery so folks like me who love the idea but have little or no experience could gain confidence. I will be there with my 16 ft HW and rigging. Glad to let others take it out.

Also willing to be the organizer, contact person for a workshop.

Another thought: Who has the knowledge to give an evening presentation on some aspect of canoe sailing? That would be fun.

Thanks for stepping up Jon and Benson,

Canoe Sailing Benson Gray & Jon Bouton offer an introduction to canoe sailing with a morning demonstration and discussion of rigging and principles with opportunities for practical applications on the water during the afternoon. (Thurs or Fri. 9-11 & 1-3:30)

Another thought: Who has the knowledge to give an evening presentation on some aspect of canoe sailing? That would be fun.

John Summers and I tag-teamed on this subject at the 2009 Assembly at Keuka College. If there were any interest, I could do some sort of reprise.

Assuming I get last summer's road rash repaired, I'll probably have my 16/30 there and available for folks to try.

Wow! What a great response. Jean and I are planning to be at Assembly for most or all of it and would be happy to help in any way. My boat is available as well and is rigged with a sprit sail which is different than the usual lateen rig found on most open canoes. It was Jean's idea for she and I to get some basic lessons so we don't develop bad habits and hopefully keep the boat upright most of the time. She has zero experience and I have only a little.

Thanks,
Jim

Oh my! Just to clarify.... I'm glad to help Benson with legwork and organize but anyone who has sailed more than once would be a better instructor than I.

Great Idea.
I am bringing my 17' Kennebec on which I just finished the sail rig but have never sailed and would love some instruction before her maiden voyage.

Teaching someone to sail a canoe is much like teaching paddling or any other skill where the principles are fairly simple to explain but true mastery only comes with a lot of practice. Todd's book at http://store.wcha.org/Canoe-Rig-The-Essence-and-the-Art.html is excellent if you want to read about the topic first. I will usually put a beginner in a large canoe (18 feet long) with a relatively small sail (45 square feet or less) with some basic instructions to let them go learn by doing. My warnings are typically limited to 1) sail upwind until you are ready to come back, and 2) make all turns with the wind crossing over the bow since a gybe with the wind crossing over the stern takes some practice to execute smoothly. One of the beauties of sailing a canoe is that you can almost always just drop the sail, gather everything in the canoe, and paddle home if the sailing stops being fun. This should always be fun,

Benson

Back