2014 35th Anniversary Assembly

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Not to take the steam out of anyone reporting or posting pictures about this year's recently ended Assembly, but we'll be back at Paul Smith's again next year, July 15-20th, for the 35th anniversary of the WCHA. The theme will be, “Modern Classics” (Contemporary Professional Builders).

After attempting several techniques for reproducing a 1920's canoe medallion (thanks to Dan Miller), I have finally succeeded in casting these in pewter.

Attachments

• Rob casting pewter.jpg
    Rob casting pewter.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 455
  • pewter canoe medallions.jpg
    pewter canoe medallions.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 459
I had really hoped to attend the 2014 Assembly, given that it is dedicated to modern builders and I am a modern builder. Alas, it appears that I just cannot afford to make the trip.

Three days driving each way all adds up.

I was hoping to put together a new canoe for the Assembly, too, and some paddle. I can't afford to take the time off to do that, either.

All of you who can go, please enjoy yourselves! I'll be thinking of you.

Those who can't make the Assembly at Paul Smith's might look into the several mini-assemblies held by WCHA chapters around the country (and perhaps around the world?). Chapters in my area (Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois) will be holding The Great Lakes Regional Assembly in Spooner, Wisconsin, August 16-17.

Back