1970 Chestnut Guide

Ok, so the thing is the Ogilvy is a very specialized kind of guide canoe, maybe not a bicycle with training wheels, but unsurpassed at some uses (I have spent many hours standing in mine, paddling and poling, and that thing resists flipping like you wouldn't believe), and lousy at others. Heavily loaded, its a hog. I prefer my Prospector with a load. Its as fast with a load as without one.

And an Ogilvy is heavy. Not your first choice on a trip with many portages.

Love the Upsalquitch photo Greyghost. My long deceased hunting/fishing mentor filmed a salmon fishing trip on the Upsalquitch in 1942 (all wood & canvas canoes of course). I had it transferred to VHS and watch it every once in awhile. The hillsides were bare of trees from logging I guess, but the water was clear and the salmon beautiful. Thanks for the photo. Matt

The Ogilvy is very specialized , it was made with one thing in mind - Salmon fishing , made for NB salmon rivers and fishermen , and I don't think that there's a canoe better suited for it .

shelldrake , that video of the Upsalquitch would be very interesting to see . Do you know where he stayed at when he was fishing there ? Forks , Two Brooks or Boland Brook ?

Here's another from the Upsalquitch -

Upsal009.jpg

Greyghost,

The trip was a guided multi day, downriver camping trip. I believe that it was in July '42. No details on what part of the river they fished, although one of the nights they stayed in a log cabin up on a bluff. I think it was supposed to be a promotion film since someone from the NB Tourism Dept and a Boston newspaper guy were along. I'm not sure if the film was ever released. I sent a couple of emails to the Atlantic Salmon Foundation Director several years ago asking if they might be interested in it, but got no reply. I thought it might be of historical value.

Matt

Back