Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

1922 Charles River CS 17 Restoration

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by monkitoucher, Jan 16, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    monkitoucher

monkitoucher Canoe Curious

I think I may be able to color sand a lot of it out with 800 - 1200. Then polish. It's only paint, and not to hard to get it back to smooth. Just really bummed that this stuff won't lay down.

GTA... I wish. It's a 67 GTV. Pretty close the GTA has at least another zero on the end of the value. :)

2. MGC

MGC Scrapmaker

Kirby (from my experience) is very heat sensitive paint...you may end up thinning it a bit more when you roll. Yes, you can sand it back pretty far. I find I can sand off as much in 5 minutes as it takes me an hour to apply...kind of like when we used to use drafting boards, I could erase a couple days worth of lines in a few minutes.....
    67 GTA is still a true classic...nice...such great eyeball, really nice and so hard to find in nice shape.

3. OP
    OP
    monkitoucher

Alright, we had our test run out last night at Denver's City Park. It was a total hoot.

[​IMG]

The wife likes it just fine.
    [​IMG]

This was the view of the lake from where these photos were taken about 100 years ago.

upload_2018-6-11_11-4-20.png

4. Paul East

Paul East PFE1944

I had the exact same issue on my boat using Kirby's. I did the wet sand and buffing out. It was a lot of extra work I didnt plan on. Next time I will try another brand of paint.

5. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Kirby paint might take a little practice. I roll with a foam roller and tip off with a brush. Maintain a wet edge. I use about an ounce of Penetrol in a quart.

6. Dan Lindberg

Dan Lindberg Ex Wood Hoarder

Nice work on the canoe but,
    what's a GTA, it doesn't look Detroit.

Dan
    Write your re

7. OP
    OP
    monkitoucher

The GTV is an Alfa Romeo. Basically an Italian Camero.