18ft OTCA Restoration

I hadn't planned on it, most of the wood in the old ones was fine and I put in new tips (see earlier pics).

Time for another update.

The filler is drying, and I moved the canoe into a greenhouse to heat it up a bit. I oiled the interior and stained the new wood with "early american"
2812-173652.jpg

Once done with this, I varnished the underside of the outwales and installed them. It was a bit tricky when drilling and attaching the spliced ends to the other spliced pieces (outwale to inwale and deck), but I only had to redrill one hole.

3012-095547.jpg 3112-105258.jpg 3112-105322.jpg

The tip that was not securly attached to the stem is still unstable, but I am not going to take that canvas off at this point. I may put some epoxy in the time with some saw dust, but other than that I will be relying on the stem bands to bridge the small gap.

I stripped and took apart the seats. They are currently back together and waiting to be caned.

For now that is all I can do. I will have to wait until the filler and interior drys to shellac, paint, and varnish. I am using Man O War varnish and Zinsser Amber Shellac. The paint I am looking at is Duralux Marine Paint in signal red from Home Depot. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of paint or its drying time? I may be transporting it a couple of days after the last coat, but I would think that most of the straps would be on the shellac that will cover the bottom.

Thanks for your time,
Melthias

Back