1886 Rushton Vesper

Ric Altfather

WCHA #4035
If anyone is interested...

I just received an e-mail from the TSCA Yahoo Groups indicating that this sailing canoe is for sale. The individual selling the canoe does not have e-mail and no phone number is indicated, only his address which is:

Dick Rose
152 Grant Road
Durham, ME 04272

Ric Altfather

Attachments

• Rose_Rushton-Vesper-1886.jpg
    Rose_Rushton-Vesper-1886.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1,074
I just called and he wants $15,000 for it. That is a bit more than I want to spend so have fun.

Benson

Ric Altfather said:
He will be hanging on to that one for quite awhile!

Ric

On the contrary, I would be surprised if it didn't have a new home in short order. Think about the comparables - a new reproduction at 20-25K, or a plywood 16-30 for 10K. It's not your run-of-the-mill dime-a-dozen Morris...

Wow...

I wouldn't have thought that was a good price...but then, it is priceless for being original!

Thanks Dan,

Ric

Hey

Knock off the swipes at Morrises, I told you I missed the no-octane for a good reason!
10k? you can have my 16/30 for 7500.00, I'll build another one....:p

Andre Cloutier said:
Knock off the swipes at Morrises, I told you I missed the no-octane for a good reason!

A good reason? Still haven't heard one yet..:p

10k? you can have my 16/30 for 7500.00, I'll build another one....:p

Build as many as you want - they still won't be Rushtons... :D:eek::D

I am seriously considering getting the Vesper. I got some pics today, and he has modern hardware on one of the mastheads. It looks VERY out of place! A aluminum bracket, and composite pulleys. There is also a well done repair on the gunwale. He said that there are some planking repairs, but I didn't get pics of those. I'll have to ask again. I have several pics of him sailing it.

Mark

Attachments

• DSC01410.JPG
    DSC01410.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 749
  • DSC01409.JPG
    DSC01409.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
Well, I decided to not get the Vesper. The decision took a while. I have wanted one for years, ( a Rushton sailing canoe) but what clinched it was deciding that the change from 40-60% humidity to the 15-25% we have out here in Reno would probably have disastrous effects of the planking as it shrunk. It would REALLY suck to spend that kind of cash only to have the planking split. Not to mention that there is NO ONE out thisaway that could repair it. That kind of repair is way beyond my meager skills.

Mark

Not going West

That's a very gracious sacrifice to make, concerning over the boat instead of the "win". These canoes are so precious, so beautiful. Collectively we need to make sure that they survive.
Rushton boats need to be preserved.

You know what the simple solution is Mark, you'll just have to move east. You can enjoy our humididy and just think of all the transportation costs you'll save... :D

Humidity and canoes

I lived in Tucson, Arizona for several years and saw no ill effects on my wooden boats or antique wooden furniture as I moved there and back. This didn't include a 1886 Rushton lapstrake but there were no problems with a 1980s Old Town Molitor canoe with wood/fiberglass construction or a 1960s Struer Rapido 65 kayak with molded plywood construction. It would not cost much to run a humidifier if you were really concerned.

Benson

Back