15 ft Old Town HW

Jan Bloom

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Any body in MI have one of the rare 15 ft OT HW's that have not been made since some time in the 20's.

The 15 foot long HW model was listed in the catalogs from 1901 until 1927 and the research at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/models.html estimates that about 2472 were produced. I have one from 1919 shown in the first build record below as Kathy mentioned. Another canoe of mine may be this same model but there is no existing build record to confirm that assumption.

One has been listed twice on eBay at http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ160418332192 as R. C. mentioned. Michael Grace has seen this one and says "It's somewhat rough, as expected from Ebay pics- both ends have rot, and there are old simple repairs to the tips (chunks of pine filling the gaps; outwales cut short). Also, seats are original and while one is in good shape, the other had a groove routed in it (for splined canoe) and then was re-filled, crudely. Both outwales are in rough shape,broken. It's all repairable, and it would be a pretty canoe, especially in AA grade, but the Ebay minimum bid is WAY too high for today's market. The owner is nice enough, but he found the canoe and assumed he had a gold mine. I hate to make people feel bad, so I didn't say anything about prices via email. But when I met him today, he asked my thoughts on value. When he saw me hesitate, he said "be honest", so I gave him the usual ballpark figures. I think he was fine with a lower possible value for the canoe, and I told him to keep in touch, that I'd be happy to help him with any advice or hands if needed (for him or a buyer). The canoe is definitely worth saving." The second build record below is for this canoe.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help (even though I'm not in Michigan or Florida).

Benson

Attachments

• 54692.jpg
    54692.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 81277.gif
    81277.gif
    51.6 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Back