14 foot canoe - what is this??

rstl99

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi all
This came up for sale locally. A few hundred $'s. Apparently no rot, stored indoors. Does this look familiar? Owner bought it second hand, thinks it's from the 50's. Would this make a good solo paddler?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• 14haida300a.jpeg
    14haida300a.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 14haida300b.jpeg
    14haida300b.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 14haida300c.jpeg
    14haida300c.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 369
Gone!

Whatever it was, it sold in a day. Had it not been at the other end of town, I would have gone to look at it. The Haida paintings on it looked neat. I was just curious to know if someone here recognized the shape/make...
Oh, it sold for about $300.

Last edited:
Well, it's cute whatever it is... and if it's water-worthy, someone got a deal. The 14 foot length is rare among the major USA builders, so if that's the actual length and not the length not-counting-the-torpedo, perhaps it was Canadian-built.

Canoes that size do make nice solo boats. If a thwart isn't placed too close, you can sit backward on the bow seat to paddle solo in a responsive "bigger" canoe too.

Kathy

Darn, one that got away...

As you say, it was quite cute-looking. It was water-worthy, the seller said he was out a couple of times this summer with his wife, after putting a couple of canvas patches on it. He used it with his kids years ago, but had not used it much in recent years.
Anyway, I'm still hoping to acquire that 15ft Bob's Special I wrote about earlier, but have to wait for the sellers to empty their garage. Still, at $300 (or less), that cute little 14 footer would have been nice to own. Should have moved more quickly on it...
Cheers.

Very cool little canoe. Too bad you missed it rstl99. We have a saying on the wall of our dojo which goes something like "Those who sit around thinking about a thing are very often passed by another doing that very thing".

It always pi**es me off when I miss an opportunity 'cause I was thinking it over and then go to work-out only to see that stupid sign...who would write such an insensitive saying anyways??:mad:

Interesting looking canoe....appears to have bit of rocker to it....would be interesting to find out what it is....and rstl, too bad you missed out on....seems great deal for $300

Very cool little canoe. Too bad you missed it rstl99. We have a saying on the wall of our dojo which goes something like "Those who sit around thinking about a thing are very often passed by another doing that very thing".

It always pi**es me off when I miss an opportunity 'cause I was thinking it over and then go to work-out only to see that stupid sign...who would write such an insensitive saying anyways??:mad:

Haha, well put. Indeed, sometimes we are our worst (self) limiting force. In my case, I often get fixated on something or another, and don't even "see" something as nice or nicer passing right in front of my eyes. Aren't we all a bit like that in life though? Part of being human I guess... I suppose I'll never know the history of that canoe now. Mind you, the seller didn't know either, he bought it used 15-20 years ago, and figured it originated from the 50's or something like that. Maybe it was hand-built by someone, who painted those nice Haida figures on it.

Until the next one... :)

Back