Rushton Indian Girl

Wondering if anyone has come across a Rushton Indian Girl that does not have Rushtons name on it anywhere. We are working on one that does not have anything on the stems (which look original) or on the deck. There are no holes or marks where there may have been a builders tag. Just wondering if any were made after Rushton went out of business or did workers build any for themselves but Rushton wouldn't allow his name on it or something like that. Planking, seats, thrawt, etc. all match indian girl.

Hi Mark,

Can you post photos?

I don't recall inspecting an IG that wasn't marked in some manner. The same is not true for Rushton all-wood canoes. Its were marked on the stems with the builder's name and serial number, and one of the thwarts usually also had a brand. A deck tag is occasionally seen, but not on every one (some even had decals).

Some of Rushton's workers, e.g. Clarence Wells, built IG canoes that were marked with their own names. It is certainly possible that they built unmarked canoes as well.

The Rushton IG forms and IG trademark were sold to Joseph Leyere in 1919/20 (right after WW1), who built the canoes using the Whistle Wing trademark. These were marked either with a tag or decal.

Dan

Mark, it would also be interesting to learn (if at all possible) where the canoe was found and where it's been in recent years. I have always wondered what canoes may have been built (other than the ones I know of) on the form I own. The form (along with some ribs and planking) was found in a plaining mill in Potsdam. Presumably there are canoes around that were built on it that might look like Rushton canoes and presumably not marked as such.
The canoes built by Cyclone Brown of Dekalb have the appearance of a Rushton. Unless the original stamped stem band is present there are no markings. They share the same planking pattern, ribs style, half ribs, thwart style but are not as well executed. They do not have SN's. My Brown was once presumed to be a Rushton until I identified it as a Brown. Dan shared some interesting information about Brown once knew I had one.
Mike

Well, this is interesting stuff. I bought this canoe this past year from an older gentleman in Camillus NY (Syracuse area). He didn't remember where he got it but he did remember he had Jack McGreivey ( McGreiveys Canoe shop-Victory NY) restore it about 30-40 years ago. He said Jack told him it was a Rushton Indian Girl. The only other info he gave me was that he let his son in law take it to New Jersey where he ruined it letting it lay in the dirt outside. Both inwales and out wales were rotted. Stems are good though. Don't think he thought much of the son in law.

If Jack restored it, it is possible that he replaced the stems. Jack sometimes made replacement parts for canoes he restored. Your pictures will be worth a thousand words. It is pretty easy to recognize a Rushton thwart or stem.

Here's some pics. The planking is 3" garboards, 2 1/2" after that then a 5" sheer plank. DSC_1092.JPGDSC_1094.JPGIMG_2449.JPGDSC_1113.JPGDSC_1101.JPGDSC_1102.JPGDSC_1103.JPGDSC_1104.JPGDSC_1105.JPGDSC_1106.JPG

Mark, a lot of what is shown looks like it is Rushton, including the stems. And it appears as though they are original to the canoe. What you might consider doing is to make a pencil rub of the tops of each stem to see if you can pull up the SN and Rushton's mark. I like to use the paper from a cash register receipt, the thin thermal image paper along with a soft pencil should help you find what is not currently visible.
To my eye, the thwart that you are showing looks like it is a replacement. It has a bit of a clunky look. It should be cherry to match the decks. Rushton's thwarts share that profile, but they typically have a finer appearance. I look at it from the bottom would be helpful.
It would also be nice to have a look at the seats.
Are the tacks copper or brass? It's hard to tell. Copper would pin down an older boat. Brown used brass.

Thanks for the reminder about the pencil rub. I haven't done it yet but it did make me take a closer look at the stems. There are some marks there. I'm going to post a pic, not sure if much will show. There's two sets of marks on both stems. The thwart is cherry and that was the bottom ( my mistake). The pic shows the top of the thrawt. The seats are off being caned so I can't show a pic of them. I'm pretty sure they are Rushtons but we'll have to wait on that and lastly the tacks are copper. On a side note, Cyclone Brown. What a great builders name! Thanks for the help.DSC_1114.JPGDSC_1115.JPGDSC_1121.JPGDSC_1122.JPG

Bingo! Serial number and the Rushton stamp. That thwart looks as it should. I was wondering since the side profile of the end showed looked right but it looked kind of clunky.
You do have a Rushton, not another builder's version of one.
Once you know the serial number you should let Dan (the second on to respond) know what it is...he keeps track of them. Dan is who I learned about Carleton J. Cyce Brown from.

Good Morning. I'm getting ready to go back to work on the Indian Girl to finish her up. Does anyone know what the dimensions of the floor boards for this Rushton are? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mark,
I needed to make a new floor rack for our Indian Girl as well. Steve Lapey sent me these dimensions from a 15' IG that he was working on at the time. There are six slats 7/8" x 5/16" made from Ash. Five cross bars. The end bars are 3/16" x 1" x 7" and about 2" from the end of the rack. Quarter bars are 3/16" x 1" x 10.5", 34" from the ends. Center bar is 3/16" x 1" x 11.5". Slats and cross bars held together with #4 x 5/8" flat head brass screws. There are two cast brass or bronze turn buckles, one at each end. I added a third in the center of the canoe made from a short piece of stem band so the rack would be more secure on top of the car at 65 mph. - something Rushton didn't have to worry about. Dan Miller sent me pictures of another rack that is different. Don't know which one is older or more correct. See attached pictures. Nice job on the canoe by the way.
Jim C.

Attachments

• FloorRack2.jpg
    FloorRack2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 64
  • FloorRack3.jpg
    FloorRack3.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3946A.jpg
    IMG_3946A.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 65
Back