Chestnut Identification Issues

Jordan Fournier

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site and have not had a lot of time in looking around so this may have been covered somewhere else! Here is my issue.

I bought a Chestnut canoe which I was told was purchased in 1967. At some point someone did some pretty shitty repairs. I picked it up for almost nothing. I would like to restore it back to original. But the first thing I would like to do is identify what model it is. I have taken some measurements and pictures to help with this.

Overall Length: 14'
Beam at Midship: 32 1/4" inside to inside inwales
Beam at front of rear seat is 17"
Beam at rear of Front seat is 25"
Depth at Midship: 12 1/2"
Rib thickness: 3/8" x 1 7/8"
Rib spacing: 1 3/4"
Seats are done in rawhide and appear original as in bad shape (dried out)
At some point someone fiber glassed it! (that is going to be a pain)
Has heart shaped decks but I do not think they are original (gut feeling as they are flat underneath)
Does have a Chestnut decal on the front deck!
IMG_0554.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0558.JPG
IMG_0559.JPG
IMG_0560.JPG
IMG_0561.JPG
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_0563.JPG

Thanks Andre,

Now that I look at the details for the Hurons, I would say you are correct which means, I got screwed because I thought I was getting a Chestnut! That sucks but hey I got another winter project! The decks are the giveaway so now I know what direction to look for more details! Thanks Again!

Don't despair too much, Jordan. Huron-built canoes can look rough, but many of them have turned out to be very good paddlers.

Do any of the experts here have an explanation for the two shallow notches on the centre thwart? Maybe for a tumpline lashing?

what Dan said, i've put a few back together and they paddle just fine. they are good honest boats rather than a few i can think of that enjoy an undeserved reputation (made in Canada btw)

We will find out how good they are and I am when I get done with it! Hopefully it turns out better than I expect it too...lol

Back