Keel and stem bands

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hey guys I am restoring my 40 year old canoe that I had originally installed a keel on. I can't remember what I used for a sealer in the cove of the keel and stem bands. I am sure in 40 years some new stuff has come on the market. I like easy. Will a latex caulking work?

Steve

As I was scraping it from one of my stems yesterday I was thinking it seemed a lot like plumber's putty.

Plumber's putty and old-style window caulking are very similar -- they keep water out and are flexible for a long time. They have essentially no adhesive quality, which can be a good thing; many modern caulks as also pretty good glues/adhesives, which can be a mixed blessing.

Stay away from silicone caulks -- they can be difficult or impossible to paint over, and even when removed, they can cause long-lasting painting problems.

Last edited:
Here is what I’ve been using for several years....
The stem bands and outer stems, I use Dolfinite or other traditional bedding compound. I use the mahogany color bedding because I think it blends in better with the wood or brass than the light colored natural colored bedding compound.
Mahogany bedding is not available at Jamestown Distributors any longer, or at Sandusky Paints. I recently found it at Fisheries Supply.
For the keel, which can be a major source of leakage problems, I use SikaFlex 201. It is an adhesive/sealer that will never fail. Yes, if you need to remove the keel it can be tough. A sharpened putty knife will do the job, and a heat gun will help to clean the keel after removal.

Reactions: MGC
Back