Peterborough Champlain With Slat Seats?

I don't know how common it is, but I have a Champlain low end, #1492, with slat seats, my info is it was offered from '42 to '62.

Dan and Andre. Do either of you or anyone else have photos and or dimensions of Peterborough factory slat seats? I am starting on the Champlain cruiser I picked up from Andre and although it had cane seats, they are shot and I am just tired of cane.

No dimensions but here are a couple pics. Not sure how useful they are or even if they are original.

Attachments

• P7210072.JPG
    P7210072.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 292
  • P7210076.JPG
    P7210076.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 278
Thanks Dan. I found a couple of other examples but not really what I was imagining. Guess I will just design my own.

Hi Craig, cant look at photos this second, but those red beauties are correct for what the factory put on many of the models i've had with slats. slat running parallel along the side of the canoe from bolt to bolt on both sides and 2 bars up the middle, copper nailed and clenched. you might not think so, but they are quite comfortable as they flex due to the thickness of the slats, usually made of maple. I made a set for a prospector i restored, more durable and comfortable than cane which owing to the thickness, doesnt flex much.

Attachments

• champlain seats.JPG
    champlain seats.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 246
Oh, and to be totally original find some old cane ski poles, they made the spacers from the same material. I dont recall selling you a Champlain?

I took it on up to assembly with me and Dick Pearson identified it as a 30s high end Champlain cruiser which confused me. What did you tell me it was?
I know it won’t be correct but I’m leaning towards old town war years style slat seats.

Last edited:
By the way the bow seat was bolted tight to the gunnels with no spacers and the bolts all seem original. Was his common. There is no bow thwart to keep it from spreading So I thought maybe this was the reason the seat was bolted to the gunwales.

Oh right, i remember now! thats a sweet boat. no bow thwarts on Canadian boats, only middle thwart(s). early boats had seats right under gunwales. Skinny ribs puts it right at 39 or so, right on up. rare to find them with solid tips and stems like that.

Craig,

While i don't have a Peterborough, I do have an early 60's Chestnut Pal with slat seats and knowing the genus of these canoes I assume the seats are the same.
So here are the measurements:
Bow seat:
24.5cm width composed of 6x 2.5 x 1.5cm bars copper nailed to cross bars
The hangers sit 7cm below top of gunwale
The seat length is 78cm at longest part narrowing to 70cm.

Stern seat:
Same 24.5cm width composed of 6x 2.5 x 1.5cm bars copper nailed to cross bars
The hangers sit 7.5cm below top of gunwale
The seat length is 50cm at longest part narrowing to 40cm.

And like Andre, I can attest to the comfort factor.

Cheers! Bruce
Stern seat.jpg
Bow seat.jpg

Thanks. It’s been my experience that canoes without a bow thwart behind the bow seat tend to spread if the seat is hung below the gunwale. That being said I think bolting the bow seat to the gunnels makes the center of gravity too high.

Craig, after 80 years those spruce rails arent going anywhere soon, the fight is out of them. just dont use those awful 3+” hangers, it will be fine.

Yup.
My Pal has only a centre thwart and haven't noticed any spread in the last number of years since it was restored.

Back