Idea for 2018 Assembly Workshop -- Make a Throw Bag

millie_sass

Canoe anybody?
I cannot run this workshop, but I sure would like to make a Throw Bag.
There are some directions here: http://vermontsup.com/diy-safety-throw-bag/
but I think that I would make a mess of it. Is there any chance that one of the skilled safety folks within WCHA could do such a workshop at the next assembly?

I know that I can purchase a Throw Bag, but I think one could add some nice little features to a bag that is handmade.

OK. I will write a reply to my own post if only to pop this up to the top.

I'm sure there is somebody out there who has a favorite Throw Bag and who would be delighted to use it as a model to show others how to construct one. This would be doing a good deed for those of us who don't own a Throw Bag and don't know the finer features of how they are constructed and why.

If you are reading this, please think about volunteering to teach a Throw Bag Construction workshop at the Assembly. (please)

I'd be happy to help, but I probably won't be able to make it to Assembly next year...

You might want to include a class on using it, too.

Millie,

For some reason I just saw your post. I think you have a great idea here but I agree with Paul that we also need to include teaching on how to use one. I always carry one but know I’m a lousy shot when it come to throwing it where I want it to go. It’s an important skill that few of us have honed and most of us never practice using one.

The article looks really interesting. Perhaps a great project for a Winter Chapter Meeting.

I've seen people use a few different techniques for throwing a rescue rope, some work better than others, for different reasons. The important part is that the end you're holding doesn't get thrown in the water with the other end... As in anything else, practice will only improve your skills. Pick a target in your back yard, and just go out and throw the rope at it. My kids loved it, when they were little...

Surely there's somebody who can share their techniques this coming year, and maybe have a couple people demonstrate different ways? I've got Assembly on my radar for 2019, if you want to do this then...

Andy, Probably would be a good idea (both making and using) for a winter meeting, but I don't know enough about the fine points to do any of this. We would need somebody who knows dimensions, material, components, type/length of rope, things to avoid, etc. Maybe a winter meeting topic would be for all of our members to bring their Throw Bags, look at the similarities and differences, define critical components, and try them out (in the snow!).

I know that I can buy one, but think that making one to get all of the fine features might be better. Problem might be getting the right material, trim, rope, etc.

Paul K,
Are you volunteering to demo Throw Bags and/or run a workshop on making them?... at the 2018 Assembly?

No, not in 2018... I almost certainly can't make it next year. IF IF IF I can make it to Assembly in 2019 (and I'm hoping to do that), I can do the demo/instructional/how to use it part. Making them is way outside my area of expertise, though I'd be interested to see how that happens. I have two different commercially made ones, and can use them as a start to look at differences.

Our local Three Rivers Chapter constructed throw bags at one of our winter meetings last year, so my own need has lessened. Also, there were some kits available at the 2018 Peterborough Assembly that included a number of water safety items, including rope, whistle, flashlight, etc. However, I wonder if there would be interest in a session related to general water safety measures -- such as using a throw bag, re-entering a flipped canoe etc. -- if there was a session about safety measures and rescue at the 2018 Assembly, I missed it. (I do hesitate to mention a safety/rescue topic since I did learn that there is not a lack of ideas for Assembly sessions, but one needs to be prepared to lead a session if one suggests a topic.)

Back