Please help identify this 1933? canoe.

Paul OConnell

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any help. Serial number is on stem like an Old Town but it's not an OT. # is 2609_33_17. deliberate spacing the underscore is not stamped just the numbers. Maybe someone is familiar with the serial number format. I'm thinking its a 17' canoe built in 1933. But who built it?

Attachments

• image1 (2).jpeg
    image1 (2).jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_5461.jpg
    IMG_5461.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 452
The format and open font of the stamping is similar to that used by J.R. Robertson in later years. His company built canoes in Auburndale, MA. Theories on the "33" include the year built or maybe less likely the beam of the canoe. If you have a thwart from the boat, look on the top side near the rail for his waveform stamp. Search on, "Robertson" on this forum for more information.

Thanks Benson and Fitz helpful info. This will not make it to the water again but matching bookshelves. I like the idea of knowing the history so guestimating it's a Robertson from 1930's or earlier is good enough for me.

Another question for the forum. i did a search for typical finish and doidn't see anything. What would've been a typical finish for the inside of the canoe? Likely a spar-varnish? Shellac maybe?

What would've been a typical finish for the inside of the canoe? Likely a spar-varnish? Shellac maybe?

Yes, spar or any other good marine varnish is the traditional interior finish. Shellac doesn't work as well there. Good luck,

Benson

Back