Garboard Planks & Stem

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Does anyone here have an good pictures of the garboard planks where they meet up with the stem, and are all nailed up. I just would like to see how the transition from the last rib and how they turn down and are nailed to the stem. Best I can remember I think there will be a gap where the 2 garboards meet at that last rib, and join to the stem.

Thanks
Steve

There should be no significant gaps. A broad variety of different planking patterns were used by various builders over time. The most significant variations are usually in how the area at the turn of the bilge was handled. The images attached show the garboard and bilge turn areas on an Old Town, Crandell, Thompson, and White.

I hope to some day use pictures like this to help identify unknown canoes. Please send along any good pictures of planking patterns on known canoes and I will add them to this collection.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

Planking-129097-b.jpg Planking-Crandell.jpg Planking-Thompson-1.jpg Planking-thompson-3.jpg Planking-White-16-48-920.jpg

Last edited:
The Atkinson Traveler 17 1/2 ' wood and canvas

I hope I am trying to explain it right. It is the garboard boards on either side of the stem running right down the center line. It is where they turn down sharply on each side, from the last rib on the stem. The tapered stem tapers from the end to that last rib. I am thinking there has to be some sort of (Y) opening at that point, as the planking is nailed to the sides of that taper on the stem from that point on. If I could see a pic looking from the end of a canoe at that point....

Steve

Last edited:
AT 4 Rail trim (2).jpg AT 9 Marked for trim (2).jpg AT 7  Shaped hull (2).jpg
Steve, is this what you are looking for? These are of a 17 1/2 AT.......

Or are you asking for a picture of the bottom of the hull where the bottom two planks meet at the stem?... I have other AT pictures is this does not provide you what you need.

MGC,
The bottom of the hull where the 2 planks meet at the stem. That is what I was calling the transition area. The planks butt each other the entire run, but when they both have to turn down at 90* on the stem I am thinking they have to separate somewhat at some point.
Thanks Much
Steve

So this?? Run them long and trim them. You'll use steam (hot iron and wet cloth) to get the bend. Back up the stem with your iron when you attach them.

Attachments

• first boards.jpg
    first boards.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 37 Ribbed nails into stem crop.jpg
    37 Ribbed nails into stem crop.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 337
Yes that is the right area I was referring to, and thanks for the pictures. I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I started.

Steve

Yes that is the right area I was referring to, and thanks for the pictures. I just wanted to get my ducks in a row before I started.

Steve
OK...good....
You'll use ring nails into the stem and you don't need to be very fussy when you trim to the stem with a utility knife. You'll use a belt sander to smooth the planking later on...that's when you can smooth out the boards at that juncture.
Attach one board running it long, steaming and bending...trim it and then do the second board the exact same way.

Ok I was able to get the first two planks on each side of the canoe today with great success. While we are on the subject of planking has anyone ever made a planking gauge? I know you can buy them but was wondering if anyone has made one that they would share how they did it with pics if possible. I just think it is more fun if ya make the tools you need. I am at the point now where the planking will have to be shaved to fit.

Steve

Back