My Grandmothers Canoe

Pam Hines

Can someone tell me anything about my Grandmothers canoe . Serial number L82825. I'm seriously considering getting it restored. Any advice?
Thank you,
Pam

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0706.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 311
Welcome to the WCHA. You have a nice looking canoe which appears to be in pretty good shape.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 182825 is 16 feet long, a DEB model. It was built between March 1969 and May 1972; the exterior was originally painted dark green. It was shipped on June 2, 1972 to Bolton Landing, New York. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below. I am not sure what DEB means with regard to an Old Town canoe model -- someone else may be able to provide some information.

182825 - 90998.jpg

Older build records typically specified the woods used in building a canoe -- build records from the time of this canoe often did not. Red cedar was usually used for the planking, one of the white cedars for the ribs, spruce for the gunwales, and hardwood such as birch or ash for decks and seats.

This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

“Restoration” can mean anything from a simple coat of paint/varnish to replacing the canvas and and damaged wood.

When considering any restoration work, whether you plan to do it yourself or to hire a professional, there are three good sources of information about canoe restoration that you would do well to get, or at least look at (at least one of them), before making any decision about how to repair or restore your canoe:

The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance by Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok

Building the Maine Guide Canoe by Jerry Stelmok

This Old Canoe: How To Restore Your Wood-Canvas Canoe, by Mike Elliott

The first is often called the "bible" of canoe repair, restoration, and maintenance; the second is an excellent study of the wooden/canvas canoe and its construction. The third is the most recently published and has been well received.

Of course, you can always ask questions here on the forums.

Greg

Agreed -- it is a 6.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 182625 is a 16 foot long Otca model equipped with a keel. It was built in between February and March 1969. The exterior was originally dark green. It was shipped on August 23, 1972 to Rangeley, Maine. A scan of this build record can be found by following the link behind the thumbnail image attached below.

182625- 91398.jpg

Greg

Back