Indian Girl Canoe-How many still exist?

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
Having owned two IGs briefly and still in possession of one, a 15'er, I got to wondering if a registry exists and if anyone knows how many may have survived and are being used.

I keep track of the ones I see or hear about (i.e. serial number postings). There are 45 on the list, plus three more identified by sn in the Fox ledgers.

There is no way to know how many survive or are being used.

Couldn't find that we noted the grade; but looks like OI or B -- not mahogany; short decks, open gunwale with edge of sheer plank exposed.

Hope this helps.

Had used an apostrophe for 'foot' in the file name - better now.

Attachments

• 16 foot Rushton IG  5206.jpg
    16 foot Rushton IG 5206.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
I keep track of the ones I see or hear about (i.e. serial number postings). There are 45 on the list, plus three more identified by sn in the Fox ledgers.

Dan.. Are the three that Dave mentions part of your list?

Mike

Thanks for the info.

Tried to add the correct photo and got this: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newattachment.php on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

You probably have characters in the filename that make it choke (like apostrophes or quotation marks).

Two of them, at least, are.

As expected...and I think you have both of mine. Just from this post there are 6 and although I don't keep a list I know of another dozen or so, a few of which are almost certainly known to you.
It's easy to speculate that there are quite a few more out there than you know of but even so (I think) safe to say there aren't too many of them. There were not that many built.
This gets back a to a question I recently asked in a different thread, how on earth have the Seliga canoes commanded the prices that they do when much more scarce boats sell for 1/3rd the price?
We are a fickle bunch.

All,
Is there any guess of how many St Lawrence Boat Works Whistle Wings that were built on IG forms exist?

Jody

I have a navahoe. Realize its not the IG and not sure if its worthy to make your list Dan?

Navajos are simply IGs with a lowered sheer and more economical materials. Yes, listworthy. Can't check my list now until April 29, as I am going offline shortly.

3250 pocketed inwales of cherry-mine
3020 not pocketed but now with cherry caps both side and top-wanderlustjake

There's the most famous Indian Girl in a museum in Dayton OH. Here's a picture of it and the story behind it

I saw it there years ago in a storage room and identified it for the museum staff.

Hm....built in Clayton NY? That's an interesting alternative fact.
That is indeed a famous IG.....built in lovely Canton NY...." where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking"...whoops, that's Lake Wobegon...ain't no strong women or good looking men in Canton:eek:

Last edited:
I just took the lines of a 16' IG here on Long Island, NY. I did not see any numbers but Indian Girl was stamped into one of the thwarts.
Jim

Back