Canoe storage solution for a vaulted ceiling

Benson Gray

Canoe History Enthusiast
Staff member
If you have a marine supply store with a large vaulted ceiling and want to display many canoes then the image below may offer a solution but I'm not sure that I would recommend this. More creative minds may be able to offer a humorous caption for this image.

Benson

Vaulted-ceiling.jpg

That's not a marine supply store. It's a candy shop!
Neat photo. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Any idea when this was taken?

I would guess that it is from the late teens or early twenties based on the outboards to the right. It has nothing written on the back and it was in an Old Town Canoe Company file with some other old pictures that do not appear to be related. It is also curious that most of the canoes do not even appear to be Old Towns.

Benson

Last edited:
So that's what those are. The knob on top of the flywheel is to spin the motor to start it and you try to stay away from it while it is running?
Ant idea what the wheeled units are on the left?

. . .spin the motor to start it and you try to stay away from it while it is running?

Imagine something loose getting into the holes in those outboard flywheels, or even worse, into the spokes of the flywheels on the one-lungers. Our ideas of reasonable guards and safety design have come a long way in the last hundred years.

I do believe that the "wheeled units on the left" might be water pumps. Note the pressure tanks that get progressively larger along the line of pumps. Small ones in the foreground. Don't believe marine engines had those attached.

Back