2011 Assembly at Paul Smith's

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
The dates that were originally announced for the 2011 Assembly at Paul Smith's College of the Adirondacks have been changed. The note below has been posted on the website, but not mentioned directly so that people like me who often go directly to these discussion forums may have missed it;

July 13-17, 2011 Assembly - Paul Smiths College, NY ...new date

This is a return to a site where Assembly has been previously held 17 times, so it is a sentimental favorite for many longtime members. That being said, Assembly hasn't been held there since 2006, so it will be 5 years.

A theme has yet to be determined. As you may be away, many of the major builders and types of construction have been covered in the previous 31 years, some more than once.
Here are the annual themes to date;
Assembly Themes and Locations

1980 1st Assembly – Clayton, NY
1981 none – Frost Natural Resources Centre, Dorset, ON
1982 none – University of Maine, Orono, ME
1983 none – University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
1984 Walter Walker? and Chestnut Canoe, Frost Natural Resource Centre, Dorset, ON
1985 none – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1986 Chestnut – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1987 Gerrish – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1988 none – St. Norberts College, DePere, WI
1989 Thompson – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1990 Kennebec – St. Joseph’s College, Windham, ME
1991 Rushton – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1992 Peterborough – Trent University, Peterborough, ON
1993 Old Town – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1994 WCHA 15th Anniversary – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1995 E. M. White – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1996 Penn Yan – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1997 Morris – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1998 Miller – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
1999 Chestnut – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2000 Celebrate the WCHA – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2001 Willits Brothers – Keuka College, NY
2002 Strip-built – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2003 Birch Bark – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2004 25th Assembly Anniversary & Seliga Canoes - Paul Smith’s College, NY
2005 Lapstrake – Paul Smith’s College, Paul Smiths, NY
2006 Racine Boatworks – Keuka College, NY
2007 Charles River - Keuka College, NY
2008 Peterborough/Lakefield (+Walter Walker) – Trent University, Peterborough, ON
2009 30th Anniversary & sailing canoes – Keuka College, NY
2010 Guide Canoes and Guiding Culture – Franklin Pierce University, Rindge, NH

Please contribute any suggestions you have for a theme for next year, and beyond.
Also, we are still looking for people to join the planning committee.

The Assembly program is predominantly member-driven, with some external resource people sometimes brought in. Please share any ideas you have for topics and resource people for program activities (demos, workshops, presentations, displays, etc.)

Last edited:
Rob,
How about New York made watercraft for the theme? Penn Yan, Rushton, St Lawrence, etc.? Just a thought. I actually wouldnt mind seeing Rushton happen again, since those boats are so interesting. I'm going to pick up a St. Lawrence Boat Works "Whistle Wing" De Luxe model, advertised as being built on the Indian Girl mold. Kinda interesting. I know we just did sailing canoes, Paul Smiths is great for that as well.

I had the same idea as Chris P.
The assembly is returning to New York and it just seems right to me !!
Thats my two cents, for what its worth !!!
later Dave

Assembly Themes

There are several builders we have not recognized. The first to come to mind is Harold Gates. Many of the membership remember Harold as he attended several assemblies.

We could put a list of builders together, set some kind of criteria for a choice, then check things against the criteria.

Im sure there are many ideas.

Assuming that we will always have an ample collection of a variety of canoes on the green, we could focus the programs on a specific aspect, design feature, or accessory.

Here are a few brainstorming thoughts while eating lunch:

Hull Design: Sheer lines, bow shapes, hull shapes, etc. and how they affect performance in the water
Paddles and oars
Keels, Rudders, Leeboards, and Centerboards
Racks, Portage Carts, Trailers
Drop-In Sailing Rigs, Rowing Rigs, etc.
Maker's Name Plates and Labels
Seating designs, variations, and innovations
PFD's and safety equipment

Or we could concentrate on a particular technique or set of strokes. We could start with proper and safe ways to enter and exit a canoe, or techniques unique to solo paddling and tandem paddling.

We might also make a compilation of all of the games, friendly races, and competitions that members could submit. Included would be all of the rules and instructions. A fun weekend could be had just trying these out on the water.

How about a feature of unusual collections of canoe related items?

Please take this for what it is, an unedited listing of random thoughts now abbreviated because I have to get back to work. I think the list is endless. Perhaps this will spur others to submit their ideas. I'm a firm believer in the practice of putting down every idea as it comes and doing the evaluation later.

"I'm a firm believer in the practice of putting down every idea as it comes and doing the evaluation later."

Sometimes the wackiest, most unworkable idea is the one that leads you to the right path.

Packing for an extended trip (3 days, 7 days, a month...)
Rope tricks for any situation
Sharpening cutting tools (knives, axes...)
Carving and/or Burning designs in decks, paddles...

Having yet to attend my first Assembly, I don't know how much of these have been covered recently... so evaluate later.

There was a suggestion about a year or more ago about having the theme be women and wooden canoes.
I recall quite a few ideas in that regard bantered about on the forum. Find the thread by searching,... The History of Women and Canoeing....

Here are a few brainstorming thoughts while eating lunch:

Hull Design: Sheer lines, bow shapes, hull shapes, etc. and how they affect performance in the water
Paddles and oars
Keels, Rudders, Leeboards, and Centerboards
Racks, Portage Carts, Trailers
Drop-In Sailing Rigs, Rowing Rigs, etc.
Maker's Name Plates and Labels
Seating designs, variations, and innovations
PFD's and safety equipment

Or we could concentrate on a particular technique or set of strokes. We could start with proper and safe ways to enter and exit a canoe, or techniques unique to solo paddling and tandem paddling.

We might also make a compilation of all of the games, friendly races, and competitions that members could submit. Included would be all of the rules and instructions. A fun weekend could be had just trying these out on the water.

How about a feature of unusual collections of canoe related items?

All great ideas, Max! And I am sure most of them would be of interest to a critical mass of attendees. Now if we can scare up members (and external resource people) to share their expertise, or even take a risk at leading a free flowing discussion on any of these topics, we can schedule them on the program. That's often the challenge at pulling together the program. A focus on one theme (usually a builder or type of construction) helps to give the whole thing some coherence, but an eclectic variety is good too.

It looks like the theme for 2011 Assembly return to the Adirondacks will be Rushton.

There has been considerable revelations on his life and work since last featured in 1991.

Anyone with particular knowledge of his life and/or canoes is welcome to step forward to offer a topic for presentation, discussion or demonstration.

There was a suggestion about a year or more ago about having the theme be women and wooden canoes.
I recall quite a few ideas in that regard bantered about on the forum. Find the thread by searching,... The History of Women and Canoeing....

I don't recall hearing that suggestion, but I like the possibilities.
Women Builders; May Minto, Jeannie Bourque, Pam Wedd,..
Guides; Fly Rod Crosby, Alexandra Conover,..
Herstorians, Hallie Bond,..

And then there's all those "stern" women, you know, the ones wearing the t-shirts that say, "Stern Women, we bow to no man".

I'll take the idea to the Board for discussion and consideration.

Ralphy, its been 20 years! Many folks joined after that, unlike us old timers! I think we should do "Ralphy" boats!!!!!!!!!:)

Last edited:
Also, the Assembly is in New York, which is where Rushton built his canoes.

And, in the 20 years since the last Rushton assembly, many additional beautiful Rushton boats have turned up.

theme be women and wooden canoes

Regarding Dave's suggestion "There was a suggestion about a year or more ago about having the theme be women and wooden canoes.
I recall quite a few ideas in that regard bantered about on the forum. Find the thread by searching,... The History of Women and Canoeing.... "

The first Female guide in Algonquing Park was Ester Keyser, Born in Fredonia NY in 1915. She took her last canoe trip in 2001 at the age of 86. THis topic, Women & canoeing would also make a great talk!

Hopefully Rushton

Yes, I would be happy for that one. I missed the first one and would love to see more of those old canoes! But I will also make a suggestion.How come Mcurdy and Reid from Nova Scotia was never presented nor mentioned in the builders/restorers menu? Chip is making the classic Kennebecs, Morris,and Harold Gates canoes.

How come Mcurdy and Reid from Nova Scotia was never presented nor mentioned in the builders/restorers menu? Chip is making the classic Kennebecs, Morris,and Harold Gates canoes.

In order to be listed in the Builders and Suppliers Directory, one must both be a member of the WCHA and pay an annual subscription.

Back