Ufo

I tend to agree with the consensis but,
that 1st deck seems bit odd, is it just the image or does it have a double radius on the edge? The 2ed is square cut and looks like the Detroit deck.

And Chris, I'd also double your money, and I'm closer. :)
So with alll this interest, you better get to work fixing her up. :)

Dan

BTW, IIRC I once paid Dan M $50 for an old White that makes this canoe look new.

Last edited:
OK, who ever wants it, come and get it, I'll supply a nice cold beer. First $50 gets it but I want to see photos of the restoration!!!!! I am home all day Friday or the weekend.:)

Curiosity got to me, I pulled the fiberglass today. The canoe is trashed. Outwales not original, inwales spliced in amidships about 2 feet in from each end. Stems rotted. 1/2 or more planking is bad and at least 1/2 the ribs are bad. The hull at a glance looks not too misshapen. I hate to give up on this canoe but at what point is the canoe original? I know, we've talked this topic till the cows come home. All the tacks are copper and a very faint serial number on the bow stem, cant read it except for 17 for the length and very faint numbers.

Got the fiberglass off. 32 out of 41 ribs are broken....

Attachments

• d1.JPG
    d1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 413
  • d2.JPG
    d2.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 424
  • d3.JPG
    d3.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 406
Repair tool

Chris, sure looks like a lot of work! I'm gonna UPS you the tool I've found to be indispensable when working on a project of this magnitude. Send it back when you're done, no rush. :D

Attachments

• canoefixer.jpg
    canoefixer.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 364
Chris,

If you can get it to Detroit, it would go well with this one. The pics don't do it justice. :)

Hey Dan, good seeing you here. Do you remember this one?

Dan

Attachments

• White 7-04 71 c.JPG
    White 7-04 71 c.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 418
  • White 7-04 72 c.JPG
    White 7-04 72 c.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 388
  • White 7-04 73 c.JPG
    White 7-04 73 c.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 393
  • White 7-04 74 c.JPG
    White 7-04 74 c.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 396
Yes, an old (I think closed gunwale) version, 16 ft.
But it's had a lot of work and marginal repair, some rot and lots of broken ribs.

But we don't see many Whites in MN and it didn't take much effort to move it from Dan's trailer to my roof rack.

Dan

Don't blame you, I'll have my 16 foot done for the assembly if your going, at least thats the plan. Are we allowed to show images of lighters on this sight, I though the club rules stated it was taboo? How dare you Andre! Keep it up I'll drag it over the campfire at the assembly just to watch Gil "sift" through the ashes for hardware. Boy, thats sounds familiar, hmmmm.

Don and Julia

It is fun to try to imagine the history of a canoe when you begin an archeological dig into its innards. Off comes the fiber glass, the misguided last and hoped for magical solution to all its woes. The fiber glass did extend life and put it back on the water for a time. Revealed are the bumps and breaks, evidence of many generations of mishaps with novice paddlers and even experts taking the wrong line. Some repairs might be well done others terrible, evidence of lack of proper materials or knowledge of canoe construction. Don, Julia and friends had a wonderful afternoon of canoe repair and beer before launching and the beginning of another saga in the life of the canoe. Maybe a little beer on the water led to new breaks and the decision that the poor old thing was not worth repairing. Finally rescued from the cow pasture by someone like Chris who recognizes a nice shape and brings it to the attention of others who revere such things. My bet is it will eventually be brought back to another useful life. This time to be treasured, not to repeat its first 75-80 years.

R.C.

Sometimes you just gotta admit that a hull is past saving and burn it. That one doesn't even look like a candidate for bookshelves. I have had a couple that I ended up taking to the dump or cutting up to burn in the firepit.

Back