NEED HELP: Considering buying a Birch Bark Canoe Pics Attached

Mike,

I’ve seen many birch-barks built in this construction style. The Adirondack Museum has several nice samples of birch-bark canoes built in this style. Canadian Canoe Museum has a few as well, and on at least one of theirs the birch-bark is substituted with canvas.

Some fairly well-known native Canadian builders from the early 1900’s come to mind; Nicholas Panadis - an Abnaki builder from the south shore of St. Lawrence River near Montreal, Dan Emmett from the Caughua Reservation also near Montreal and Matt Bernard from the Golden Lake Reservation west of Ottawa. I have also seen samples from builders in the Penobscot area, but I don’t have any names.

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

Mike,

I’ve seen many birch-barks built in this construction style. The Adirondack Museum has several nice samples of birch-bark canoes built in this style. Canadian Canoe Museum has a few as well, and on at least one of theirs the birch-bark is substituted with canvas.

Some fairly well-known native Canadian builders from the early 1900’s come to mind; Nicholas Panadis - an Abnaki builder from the south shore of St. Lawrence River near Montreal, Dan Emmett from the Caughua Reservation also near Montreal and Matt Bernard from the Golden Lake Reservation west of Ottawa. I have also seen samples from builders in the Penobscot area, but I don’t have any names.

Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop

I agree Dick,,,,,,,,,,,,It does appear to have been built early to mid 1900s some where in the Eastern Woodlands. The ribs are spaced rather far apart although; The coming on the deck is unique and I have never seen a keel on a bark canoe! This particular canoe has been built using a single sheet of bark which makes it special in that respect.
"Lots of work for that Indian Way"

Back